Turkic Languages: Moon Lady

Discussion in 'Other Languages' started by Skatinginbc, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Skatinginbc

Skatinginbc Senior Member

Mandarin 國語
    It has been hypothesized that the mother of Li Bai (701 – 762, a Chinese poet of the Tang Dynasty), was of Turkic ethnicity. Her name in Chinese means "Moon Lady", "Moon Girl" or "Moon-like beautiful woman". I would like to know if such a Turkic name was possible in the 8th century. It has to be Turkic in origin, not an Iranian loan like "Mahbanu". I thought of Ai Khanum but I had a hard time to prove that the word khanum was indeed present then. Does anyone here have an idea or suggestion regarding what her Turkic name could be?
    Thanks for your help in advance.

< No longer necessary >
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2013
  2. SARI7

SARI7 Junior Member

Aykız (moon girl literal meaning), Ayhanım (moon lady). noone called with these names -at least- in today's Turkey. but similar names deriving from the same intention and meaning are common. For instance there are many Ayten (whose skin is as white as moon), Aygül (moon rose literal meaning), Ayfer (as lumineaux as moon), etc.
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  3. chrysalid Junior Member

Ankara, Turkey
    I suppose we need a historian to get the correct answer. There is one other name common in Kazakhstan (and Kyrgyzstan I suppose) : Aybike. You come across that name in Turkey as well. Ay is moon and bike is a Mongolian word as far as I know and functions as a suffix for female names.
  4. Skatinginbc

Skatinginbc Senior Member

Mandarin 國語
    Thanks for the responses. I really appreciate your help.