turn up or down the air conditioner?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by CLL, Sep 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CLL

CLL Junior Member

Hong Kong
    Chinese (Hong Kong)
    Even the air conditioner is on, it's still too hot here. Would you please turn it ___ a bit?

I think it should be 'up', but someone says it should be 'down' because it means to lower the temperature. Or is it not the right way to say it?

Thanks!!

2. CLL

CLL Junior Member

Hong Kong
    Chinese (Hong Kong)
    OH! I'm sorry I forgot to search!! It's been answered before...:eek::eek:

3. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

I don't think there's any agreement on this. :) I run into this misunderstanding all the time with people, and I have to say that I can see it either way. I think it depends on how you're viewing it. If we're talking about air conditioning, you turn "down" the thermostat because you are lowering the temperature, but you turn "up" the amount of cool air being put out by the unit. It all depends on which "it" you thinking of when you speak.

Just a note: "Even though the air conditioner is on..."

4. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
    My AE take on this:

If you turn up an air conditioner, the temperature would drop (it would get colder).
    If you turn down an air conditioner, it's because you think the room is too cold.

On the other hand, if you turn up a thermostat or a heater, it's because you want to be warmer. If you turn it down, you want to "turn the head down."

5. Trisia

Trisia mod de viață

București
    Romanian
  6. CLL

CLL Junior Member

Hong Kong
    Chinese (Hong Kong)
    Hi JamesM, thank you for your explanation and correcting this mistake of mine:)

And many thanks to bibliolept and Trisia too!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.