Tuscan dialect

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by emot22000, Sep 5, 2006.

1. emot22000 New Member

English - USA
    Can someone tell me what makes the Tuscan dialect different from standard Italian? I've heard there are different pronunciations of certain ltters. If any of you know of them, can you let me know? Grazie.

2. Hi. If I remember right, Tuscans pronounce the hard "c" as an "h" (acca aspirata), like in the English word "have". For example, the word "cane" would sound like "hane", with an audible "h".

Anyone else know of other peculiarities?

3. Nate in California

Nate in California Senior Member

San Diego, CA
    USA, San Diego - English
    That's exactly right, and as a result it can be very difficult for non-native speakers to understand, despite the fact that standard Italian derives from the dialect of Florence.

4. Mickele

Mickele Senior Member

Italian, Tuscany
    Ciao a tutti. Despite most non-natives from Tuscany think so as a matter of fact there is NOT a single "tuscan" dialect. In the Middle Ages each single village was a nation of its own that's why the region, generally speaking the homeland of "campanilism", created a lot of different dialects still in use regardless any contamination from Italian or other regional idioms. To quote Etymologist I would say the "acca aspirata" refers to the dialect mostly spoken in Florence (but also in some areas of Siena, Livorno etc.). For instance in the area of Massa Carrara (north-west) a completely different dialect is spoken, not even close to "fiorentino". A believe there would be much more to say, these are just few examples...

Hope this helps. :)
    M/

5. Akire72

Akire72 Senior Member

Florence, Italy
    Italian - Italy
    A little follow-up to Mickele's. Many think it is an arbitrary use, in fact there are rules for the Etruscan "c" "t" and "d" (Ethymologists believe this is an Etruscan inheritance) "c" becomes "h" only when it is between vowel. So in "Il cane è buono" you will perfectly hear the "c" while in "il mio cane è buono" you will rather hear "i' mi' hane è buono". Same thing with "t" which, when intervocalic becomes like the English "th" in "thus" and "d" becomes more like "th" in "the".

Hope this is helpful.

Erika

6. cosimix Senior Member

San Francisco
    Italian
    anyway the Tuscan is not properly a dialect but a accent, due to the fact that what was the Tuscan dialect is today become the modern Italian.

A s far as I know this one of the reasons why in Tuscany we don't have a dialect.

7. Akire72

Akire72 Senior Member

Florence, Italy
    Italian - Italy
    It is a way of speaking, it is a sort of old Italian and it is therefore called VERNACOLO.

8. V52

V52 Senior Member

Rome
    Italy Italian
    Hi, Mickele is so right! (I am tuscan too) We cannot speak of just one tuscan dialect, even all tuscan dialects can be assimilated to a common form, except some "enclaves" like Mount Amiata area , where , because ancient migrations there is a community that takes is origins from Corsica.
    I have no more informations about it , but I could check.
    Tuscan is anyway the most similar dialect to Italian modern language.
    The problem of tuscan "C" is a rel mess.. can a no tuscan use it in the right tuscan way?
    For instance
    If you say : "Cane" You must prononuce "Kane"
    If you say : "Brutto cane" (ugly dog) You must prononunce "Brootto Hane"
    If you say : Il cane (the dog) You must pronounce it "Il Kane"

V

9. Henry63a

Henry63a Senior Member

Genova
    Italiano - Italia
    From a friend of mine born and raised in Empoli: "C'era 'n carrdo!" meaning "Faceva così caldo!".
    I could never pronounce like that with my 'erre moscia':)

10. narmoriel

narmoriel Senior Member

Grosseto
    italia
    Hi,
    I live in Grosseto near Monte Amiata but it's the first time I heard about this community. Could you tell me in which town there is it?
    Narmoriel