tutti i santi giorni

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by BeeMama, Sep 13, 2013.

1. BeeMama New Member

English
    Trying to confirm if this expression can mean "every blessed day" before tattooing it onto my body. Looking it up, I keep getting conflicting translations..... Some websites translate it to "every blessed day", while others translate it to "All Saints Day".

Can it be both? Since my mother's maiden name is Santi, I'd really love to be able to use it.

2. Pratolini Senior Member

Inglese
    It's used to emphasise repetitiveness: Every single day/every blinking day/every blooming day/every day without fail/etc

3. ridisempre

ridisempre Senior Member

Le Marche
    English - Canada
    I agree, it doesn't necessarily mean that the day is "blessed" by saints, etc. it has no correlation with the word "saint" in English. It could also be "every freaking day"/"every f'n day"/... If you were thinking of getting just that phrase tattooed I would really think it over because it doesn't really mean much on it's own without context.

4. Pratolini Senior Member

Inglese
    The word "santi" here is in any case an adjective qualifying the word "giorni" meaning literally "holy" not "saint". Another possible translation that comes to mind would be "Every day god sends"

5. ridisempre

ridisempre Senior Member

Le Marche
    English - Canada
    Sorry I just reread your post and it seems as if you want to get it done it in Italian in which case, yes it can mean "every blessed day" among other things. It doesn't mean "all saint's day".

6. Pratolini Senior Member

Inglese
    Yes, I agree, but "every blessed day" in the sense of "every frigging day" etc.

7. GavinW Senior Member

Italy
    British English
    Right. In other words (and crucially) the connotation is negative.

8. london calling Senior Member

SALERNO, ITALY
    UK ENGLISH
    That's exactly what I thought when I read the first post.

Not the sort of thing I'd have tattoed on my body, Bee.;) However, I see you mention All Saints Day. That's Tutti i Santi or Ognissanti in Italian.:)

9. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
    This use of santo is mentioned also in the dictionary

10. wordy1 Junior Member

anglais
    if it's for a tatoo did you want a positive meaning like "every day that god gives" like in the bible?

11. BeeMama New Member

English
    Thank you everyone! Definitely not the sentiment I was looking for the tattoo to represent! Back to the drawing board......

Yes.... basically I want it to say that every day is a blessing, or that I feel blessed with every day.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2013
  12. wordy1 Junior Member

anglais
    ok, well if you're religious why not go with "every day is a gift from god" and if you're not religious then "every day is a blessing" (still has a religious connotation I know but without mentioning any particular name for god so it's more general)

13. dôghen Senior Member

italiano
    If this is the meaning you're looking for then "tutti i santi giorni" is definitely out of context.

Dunno... maybe "carpe diem" might work. It means "live the present", it's latin (not exactly italian though) and it's short enough to be tattooed almost everywhere....:)

If something else comes to my mind, I'll tell you.

Ciao

14. joanvillafane Senior Member

U.S., New Jersey
    U.S. English
    BeeMama, if I'm not mistaken you want an expression that maintains the word "santi" - the problem is that santo/santi when used as an adjective in Italian means "holy" and is not the same as "blessed" which would be "benedetto."
    Maybe you can think of an English saying that uses the noun "saints" - "santi" - and then you can keep your word!
    Here's one idea (native speakers, please correct if necessary!)
    The saints are among us - I santi sono tra di noi.

15. london calling Senior Member

SALERNO, ITALY
    UK ENGLISH
    That's what I thought too, hence my post 8.:)

16. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
    What are you actually looking for?
    A translation of "every blessed day" in Italian? Or a translation of "tutti i santi giorni" into English?
    Those sentences mean the same thing only literally.

17. BeeMama New Member

English
    Well, what I was looking for was the translation of "tutti i santi giorni" to English. Now I understand that it's more of a negative expression, so not what I was hoping it meant.

Can you give me some ways to say "blessed every day", "every day a blessing", or just simply "blessed"?

Thank you for the help.:)

18. curiosone

curiosone Senior Member

Romagna, Italy
    AE - hillbilly ;)
    Blessed would be benedetto/-a. But sometimes it's use sarcastically, as a euphemism for maledetto. (e.g.: quella benedetta ragazza)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  19. stella_maris_74

stella_maris_74 Mod About Chocolate

Rome
    Italian - Italy
    Hello BeeMama,
    this forum operates on a strict "one question/subject per thread" policy (Rule #2) because threads get linked to the relevant dictionary entries.
    So, here we can only discuss about "tutti i santi giorni".

If you thought up a different phrase, you're welcome to open a new thread to ask about it but please read and follow our guidelines here:

>>> Complete guidelines to the English - Italian forum<<<

By the way, we already have several threads on "blessed" or "blessing", maybe they will be helpful:
    Blessed among friends
    Blessed by the Sun
    Blessed end
    Blessed One
    blessed, tilted far out, beams
    everyone cool, everyone blessed
    holy art Thou and blessed be Thy name for ever
    I am blessed to have you in my life
    I'm blessed if I will
    it is more blessed to give than to receive
    lathe, the blessed lather
    May you be blessed in your motherhood.
    Most Holy Name of the Blessed Virgin Mary
    Shed Blessed
    We are blessed to have ...

blessing and prayer to Israel
    blessing ceremonies and memorials
    blessing in disguise
    Marriage proposal - fathers blessing
    that means tripping up the blessing
    Toast or blessing
    we ask for your blessing on the food we are to share in celebration
    Wedding Blessing
    Wedding ceremony: entrance, exchange of vows, offertory, signatures, nuptual blessing, couple exit
    You are a blessing

Thank you :)

20. BeeMama New Member

English
    Apologies..... got carried away! :eek:

21. Pratolini Senior Member

Inglese
    ;)

22. Murloc

Murloc Junior Member

Switzerland
    Swiss Standard Italian
    Be wary of italian when it comes to apparently positive adjectives or phrases that refer to religion, especially anything that can be translated to blessed/holy (benedetto/santo), because in italian these adjectives are mostly used to express exasperation. Religious people don't show their faith in common speech either.

This is general cautionary advice, "tutti i santi giorni" is clearly negative though so forget about it.