TV show: "characters welcome"

Discussion in 'English Only' started by jamesdoe, Mar 12, 2009.

1. jamesdoe New Member

what does characters welmone mean when a tv show is previewed
  2. Cagey post mod

English - US
    Hello, jamesdoe,

Welcome to the forum. :)

I am sorry, jamedoe, but I am not certain that I understand your question. Could you please ask it again using other words? By welmone do you mean welcome?

Also, in your next post, please used capitals to begin each sentence and proper punctuation at the end.
  3. jamesdoe New Member

What does (characters welcome)mean when they preview a TV show at the end of one and announce the next show

4. brian

brian Senior Member

AmE (New Orleans)
    Oh, you're talking about the USA (tv channel) slogan: Characters welcome. There are commercials on USA where they give a mini biography of some interesting person and then end with the phrase "characters welcome," meaning interesting people (characters) are welcome--as in, USA wants/attracts interesting characters. This slogan is particular to the channel USA.

It's hard to decipher the meaning, as it's a slogan, and slogans often aren't perfectly clear; rather, they simply give you a feeling. For example, Nike's "Just do it"--do what? :)
  5. lablady

lablady Senior Member

Central California
    English - USA
    Welcome to the forum, jamesdoe.

Believe it or not, this has been discussed before. :)

There are some insights into the meaning behind the slogan in this thread: Characters welcome
  6. forestweed New Member

english - usa
    The phrase, 'Characters Welcome,' is the slogan for the USA network on TV. USA promotes quirky characters in many of it's shows, such as Monk and Psych. The slogan simply means that those with unique character or unusual personalities are welcome on their network.