1. Good evening everyone,

I'd like to know if both exist or only the last one... I would have thought about an archaic form (as far as twelveth is concerned) but maybe not...

Thanks in advance!

2. Procol Senior Member

Bordeaux
    British English
    Hi

Never heard of "twelveth"... sounds as if it could come from a Shakespeare play... "Twelveth Night" :) ??

3. Pickle Posy Senior Member

Paris, France
    British English
    Twelveth is an archaic form - but there are 168,000 occurrences on the internet so not that archaic ! Many of them of course are just spelling mistakes...

4. Thanks for your answers!

5. pointvirgule

pointvirgule Senior Member

Mtl, QC
    Français
    Ngrams of twelveth (in blue) and twelfth (in red) in books published from 1550 to 2000, according to Google.

Twelveth appears 0.000000% of the time. Has it ever really existed??

(BTW, this is a topic for the English Only forum, not the French forums.)

6. guillaumedemanzac Senior Member

English - standard UK variety
    Twelvth or twelveth are the regular forms of 12th and since these numbers are often irregular they don't actually exist. Would you say fiveth instead of fifth; or ninth instead of nineth - actually the pronuciation of nineth is correct - because ninth rhymes with plinth and nineth rhymes with ???? = any suggestions ???? any English words that actually rhyme with nine +th :confused:

guillaume

7. Pickle Posy Senior Member

Paris, France
    British English
    Interesting. I based my idea that it was archaic on this but pointvirgule is right - it doesn't obviously appear in old books in digitised form on the web. Most of the examples I've found are from books published abroad in English (in India, Korea, Nigeria) which suggests it is just a common mis-spelling rather than a genuine archaic form. And no, I can't think of any English word that rhymes with the correct pronunciation of ninth either!