Two fingers of whisky

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Hotmale, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Hotmale

Hotmale Senior Member

Hello :)

I've heard this expression and I am wondering if it is common or not so much.
    Do you usually hear it in a restaurant?

Thank you
  2. Nikola Senior Member

I s more common in a bar two fingers of any drink is where two fingers would reach in a glass.
  3. Hotmale

Hotmale Senior Member

Two fingers literally? So that's quite a lot to drink, isn't it?

4. It's a very variable and inaccurate measure. Think how the thickness of people's fingers can be very different.

In restaurants and bars you ask for a whisky or a double whisky. You get precise and standard measures from an optic dispenser.

(Has anybody ever told you that you bear a strong resemblance to Woody Allen?)

5. Hotmale

Hotmale Senior Member

Thank you for your explanation :)

Oh, yes and I've been told that I look "hot" :D
  6. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I have heard this in movies and read it in books - but very, very rarely in real life.
    The measure is in a small glass with fingers wrapped around it. It is not as deep as the length of two fingers :)
  7. Nunty

Nunty Modified

Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    I heard this when I was younger, but mostly from people of my parents' generation. I have read it in recipes for cocktails.
  8. Hotmale

Hotmale Senior Member

Thank you :)
  9. mahdeen New Member

maybe it's not related but

This is very common in Persian.
    It is used for general inaccurate measurement of length specially by uneducated housewives as a complement for a span.

example (literally translated): 3 spans and 4 fingers of cloth
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  10. out2lnch Senior Member

Ottawa, Canada
    I've also heard it used jokingly, where the two fingers measured from (see Panjandrum's post) are the index and pinky fingers.