two headed

Discussion in 'English Only' started by novice_81, Feb 12, 2009.

1. novice_81 Senior Member

Sweden
    Polish
    Hi

Some said that the Irish Sea had become the most radioactive sea in the world. Some fishermen swore they'd seen two-headed fish - I'm sure there were a few two-headed fishermen involved.

--- Is he trying to say that those who said they saw two-headed fish, they, themselves, probably were a two-headed people. It's some irony, I guess ;)

2. WestSideGal

WestSideGal Senior Member

English, US
    The Irish Sea has been described by Greenpeace as the most radioactively contaminated sea in the world with some "eight million litres of nuclear waste" discharged into it each day from Sellafield reprocessing plants, contaminating seawater, sediments and marine life.[9]

(from Wikipedia)

Excessive exposure to radioactivity has been associated with the mutation of human and other animal species, so I am sure this is the reference to "two-headed fish" in your item.

3. novice_81 Senior Member

Sweden
    Polish
    Hi

OK, I understand that there might have been some two-headed fish. What about the last part about two-headed fishermen. Is it some irony, as I'm not quite sure how to understand it?

Thanks

4. WestSideGal

WestSideGal Senior Member

English, US
    It could be ironic, if it was two-headed fishermen who discovered the two-headed fish and seemed confused by their finding.:) It almost seems from your passage that it would have been MOST likely that two-headed fishermen found the unusual fish, rather than fishermen of the typical one-head variety.;)

5. novice_81 Senior Member

Sweden
    Polish
    Oh, I see. I understood it that some fishermen said they found strange fish, but probably they were strange themselves so the author of these words doesn't believe in that.

cheers

6. mathman Senior Member

near boston
    English-American/New England
    I think your understanding of this is correct.

7. Forero Senior Member

Houston, Texas, USA
    USA English
    I think the author is alluding to the possibility that the fisherman had been drinking some of the whiskey and other beverages that Ireland and Scotland are famous for.

Intoxication can make people appear to have two heads.

8. novice_81 Senior Member

Sweden
    Polish
    Thanks guys!

9. cycloneviv

cycloneviv Senior Member

Perth, Western Australia
    English - Australia
    Hmm. My thought is that they're suggesting the Irishmen who think they've seen two-headed fish are inbred and hence not terribly bright. There's a fairly common joke here in Australia about Tasmanian's having two heads due to inbreeding...

As the Tasmanian band The Fish John West Reject said:

I may be inbred, but I've often heard it said that two heads are better than one.