two sides of medal

Discussion in 'English Only' started by dulce_babel, Jun 10, 2009.

1. dulce_babel Member

Hi, is the phrase 'there are two sides of medal' a synonym of 'there are two sides to every story', or is it just a literal translation from Polish? In Polish <-->
    Thx. Thanks.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2009
  2. Rational_gaze Senior Member

British English
    I've never heard it.

I wouldn't really understand what someone meant by it. If the reverse side of a medal was somehow shameful (to contrast with the front), then I would. Is there perhaps a practice of turning medals around in order to signify something?
  3. Forero Senior Member

Houston, Texas, USA
    USA English
    I have never heard of anything like this for a medal, but it would be understandable with coin: "Every coin has two sides."

(When things or people are meant to be opposite but are in fact very much alike or cannot exist without each other, for example two opposing but equally dishonest politicians or parties, we say "they are two sides of the same coin.")
  4. Rational_gaze Senior Member

British English
    I would understand that too, but (as you say) it describes how something that seems different is actually something similar. "....two sides to every story" is used to indicate when something apparently similar is actually very different.

Which do you mean by 'There are two sides of a medal', dulce_babel?
  5. dulce_babel Member

By 'two sides of a medal' I meant two completely different things, usually (in Polish) advantages of something as one of the sides, and disadvantages as the other side.
  6. fmcti

fmcti Member

Double edged sword
  7. Dimcl Senior Member

British Columbia, Canada
    Canadian English
    Based on dulce-babel's explanation, this is perfect. A double-edged sword has both good and bad consequences. Welcome to the forum, fmcti.:)
  8. urukwai New Member

It is very similar to a french idomatic expression : "Le revers de la medaille" (The other side of the medal) with means that for every good thing you may have a bad one on the other side, that you cannot separate from the first one.

It is probably the same as the english two-sided coins.

9. djmc Senior Member

English - United Kingdom
    The BE expresion is "two sides of a coin". For example "Family life is very important for the Ruritanians. However there are two sides to the coin. It is very difficult to escape from the demands of ones parents".