Two thousand five hundred vs twenty-five hundred

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by Paolo Yogurt, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Paolo Yogurt

Paolo Yogurt Senior Member

Italiano
    Hello everyone!

I was wondering how to read the figures over 1,000. For instance, in this sentence taken from The Guardian:

the last figure should be read as "two thousand five hundred" or as "twenty-five hundred"? Which one is correct? Are they both possible? Thank you in advance.

2. fabiog_1981 Senior Member

Milano/Italia - Italiano
    Che io sappia si può dire in entrambi i modi... io preferisco la prima:
    ma, aspetta un native.

3. RICCARDOS Senior Member

English - USA
    Ciao Paolo,

Both are correct. Both used equally. Perhaps "twenty-five hundred" is a little more common - only because it seems a little shorter to pronounce.

Riccardo

4. TheCouch86_86 Junior Member

Italy
    Italian
    Ditto... You hear it in the news too...

Alex

5. Einstein

Einstein Senior Member

Milano, Italia
    UK, English
    Twenty-five hundred sounds more American to me, although it is sometimes used in GB too. I instinctively would say two thousand five hundred, particularly in a mathematical context.

The obvious exception is the date: 1800 = eighteen hundred

6. Paolo Yogurt

Paolo Yogurt Senior Member

Italiano
    Thank you all for your clarifications. :)

7. london calling Senior Member

SALERNO, ITALY
    UK ENGLISH
    Yes, I agree with you, twenty-five hundred sounds American to me as well, but we do use it on occasions: remember the old Austin 1100 car (eleven hundred)? And the date: eighteen hundred, nineteen hundred....but two thousand and nine (BE)!;)

8. TheCouch86_86 Junior Member

Italy
    Italian
    And you sometimes hear 2009 (twenty\09) in AmE...
    English has funny ways, doesn't it?

:D

9. Einstein

Einstein Senior Member

Milano, Italia
    UK, English
    Yes, in BE we tend to use the hundreds system when we're not talking about quantities but just identification numbers (e.g. Austin eleven hundred). And of course the number of a year is really only its "serial number".
    For the years the old system worked in the last century because the meaning of nineteen ninety-four was clear. But for 2009 we can't say twenty nine because that sounds like 29. Next year we can go back to the old system because twenty ten is unambiguous.

However, I see that Couch86 suggests an unambiguous way that's OK also for these last few years: twenty09. Thinking about it, also 1906 is known as nineteen oh six, at least in BE (the long version being nineteen hundred and six).