U (parents)

Discussion in 'Nederlands (Dutch)' started by ElAjedrezEsLaVida, Apr 30, 2013.

1. ElAjedrezEsLaVida Senior Member

Manchester, UK
    inglés británico
    I read and heard in Dutch lessons several months ago when I started learning Dutch that "u" was reserved for persons whom one considers of a higher position but not parents usually. But in http://youtu.be/krGPZI3J9bE?t=2m40s I see Koning Willem Alexander say, "Liever moeder, u was koningin in het vulle bevestzijn(?) van de verantwoordelijkheden..." (I am not sure exactly what he said), so is this an exception? Or is this only because he gave a speech?
  2. Suehil

Suehil Medemod

Tillou, France
    British English
    In public, when addressing a queen (even a recent ex-queen), her children and even her spouse would say 'u'.
    Until a few years ago it was normal to use 'u' to one's parents - there are probably still families who do this.
  3. Mr.360 New Member

Dutch - The Netherlands
    Just to correct your citation: bevestzijn --> bewustzijn.

To go ontopic: U is indeed used to people whom one considers to be of a higher position. I (20yrs old) was raised with the assumption that it is normal to also address parents with "u" out of politeness. However, in this modern society a lot of people will now address their parents with the informal "je" and "jij". To answer your question: no, it's not an exception, both forms are correct. It just depends on how you're being raised, I guess.
  4. AllegroModerato Senior Member

Dutch (Netherlands)
    I think the practice of calling your parents "u" has largely died out since the 60s. I, at least, have never heard anyone do it.
  5. bibibiben

bibibiben Senior Member

Dutch - Netherlands

I don't think it has died out completely. I know children that address their parents with "u". I'm not sure where I read it, but it seems that up to 10% (or 20%?) of all children still use "u" to their parents.
  6. NewtonCircus Senior Member

Dutch (Belgium)
    I didn't know that this was a practice in The Netherlands. I don't recall ever having heard that on Dutch TV. Amazing :).