U (parents)

Discussion in 'Nederlands (Dutch)' started by ElAjedrezEsLaVida, Apr 30, 2013.

1. ElAjedrezEsLaVida Senior Member

Manchester, UK
    inglés británico
    I read and heard in Dutch lessons several months ago when I started learning Dutch that "u" was reserved for persons whom one considers of a higher position but not parents usually. But in http://youtu.be/krGPZI3J9bE?t=2m40s I see Koning Willem Alexander say, "Liever moeder, u was koningin in het vulle bevestzijn(?) van de verantwoordelijkheden..." (I am not sure exactly what he said), so is this an exception? Or is this only because he gave a speech?

2. Suehil

Suehil Medemod

Tillou, France
    British English
    In public, when addressing a queen (even a recent ex-queen), her children and even her spouse would say 'u'.
    Until a few years ago it was normal to use 'u' to one's parents - there are probably still families who do this.

3. Mr.360 New Member

Dutch - The Netherlands
    Just to correct your citation: bevestzijn --> bewustzijn.

To go ontopic: U is indeed used to people whom one considers to be of a higher position. I (20yrs old) was raised with the assumption that it is normal to also address parents with "u" out of politeness. However, in this modern society a lot of people will now address their parents with the informal "je" and "jij". To answer your question: no, it's not an exception, both forms are correct. It just depends on how you're being raised, I guess.

4. AllegroModerato Senior Member

Amsterdam
    Dutch (Netherlands)
    I think the practice of calling your parents "u" has largely died out since the 60s. I, at least, have never heard anyone do it.

5. bibibiben

bibibiben Senior Member

Amsterdam
    Dutch - Netherlands

I don't think it has died out completely. I know children that address their parents with "u". I'm not sure where I read it, but it seems that up to 10% (or 20%?) of all children still use "u" to their parents.

6. NewtonCircus Senior Member

Singapore
    Dutch (Belgium)
    I didn't know that this was a practice in The Netherlands. I don't recall ever having heard that on Dutch TV. Amazing :).

Groetjes