1. keith.brown New Member

english united states
    ¡ ubicate ! ( accent over the i )

The above merely is used as an exlcamation. I am quessing that it might carry the sense of 'get with it' .

Any ideas
  2. Honeypum

Honeypum Senior Member

Madrid / Spain
    Ubicate... is a frequently used expression in Argentina. The English translation would be "be in your place" meaning that you're breaking a limit..
    I think I'm going to be more clear with an example:

man: tell me your age, please

woman: ubicate ("be in your place") why on earth you think I'm going to tell you my age?

hope that helps :)
  3. swift_precision Senior Member

Bueno...Honeypum ...creo que lo que quieres decir es "stay in your place" aunque no sé si esta traducción tenga mucho sentido en inglés en el contexto que nos diste. Pues pues..al repasar..quizá tiene sentido lo de "stay in your place" porque muchas mujeres por alguna razón (solo Dios sabe por qué) toman ofenso cuando se la hace esa pregunta.
  4. lapachis8 Senior Member

El Defectuoso
    I could also mean depending on the context:
    Get a life!

Although Argentinians would use it without the accent over the i.
  5. solfemar New Member

Haver several uses.
    I think Honeypum gave you a good example, not my favorite, but good.
    I didn't find yet a good translation of it, but what Honeypum says is better option than others I read. So thank you!
  6. slahaye Senior Member

Asunción, Paraguay
    It's kind of like "Don't be cheeky"
  7. solfemar New Member

That's only one meaning, but it's not this case.
  8. Kalaphia Junior Member

Sacramento, California
    Mexican Spanish
    En México, dependiendo del contexto puede significar "pay attention".
  9. slahaye Senior Member

Asunción, Paraguay
    It's the equivalent women would use in this context. It would not be cheeky in most other uses of "Ubicate". But it is not a literal translation.
  10. EddieZumac

EddieZumac Senior Member

Mexico City
    "Ubícate" could also mean "keep your place" or "mind your place".
  11. slahaye Senior Member

Asunción, Paraguay
    As in "behave"?
  12. EvanWilliams

EvanWilliams Senior Member

North Texas- US of A
    Mi professors de Espanol en la escuela superior decia eso frequentemente.

" straighten up"' "behave yourself". Or, en un contexto militar, " take your post/position"
  13. Mackinder

Mackinder Senior Member

Espagnol - Colombie
    My suggestion: (I don't know how to translate the expression but I'm going to give you an example for you to figure it out :))

-(Paulo is in his classroom) (Paulo is sitting on his chair with his stretched legs on top of his desk (http://image.made-in-china.com/4f0j00ZvGtKgdWhLoE/Single-School-Desk-And-Chair.jpg))
    -(teacher comes in the classroom because she was absent for a while) Ubícate, Pablo! Do you think this is your house?!

Pablo adopted an unacceptable behaviour and regarded as uneducated if applied in a public place such as a school. If Pablo was laying down on his couch at home with his legs on the couch's arm, there would probably be no problem, but since it's a school where Pablo is in, he has to show some respect and education.

I hope it helps. :)
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  14. Mackinder

Mackinder Senior Member

Espagnol - Colombie
    Sorry for duplicate I accidentally clicked on the wrong button.
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  15. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

That would be like "afronta la realidad," not the same thing at all.
  16. JGCuadra Senior Member

Latinamerican Spanish
    Mi propuesta: "Qué te pasa?" implicando irónicamente que por qué hace esa pregunta... like saying... what´s wrong with you?
  17. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

We don't say "cheeky" in the U.S. In these behavioral situations people might say "That's inappropriate/not appropriate."
  18. sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    I can't see myself saying, "Don't be cheeky" in response to "Tell me your age, please" (post 2). I would most likely say, "What business of yours is it?", "Who wants to know?", "What has it got to do with you?" or a good old-fashioned "None of your business". Unlike "Ubícate", none of these refers to the other person's "place" as such, but I can't think of an idiomatic expression that does.
  19. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

Yes, I don't think there is an all-purpose equivalent of "ubicate/ubícate." A teacher might tell the kid putting his feet up on his desk that "this is school, not your living room."