1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Ukrainian: голки збирай

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by 123xyz, Apr 12, 2014.

1. 123xyz Senior Member

Skopje, Macedonia
    Macedonian
    In the Ukrainian song "Hіч яка місячна", I am having trouble understanding the first stanza. It goes as follows:

Ніч яка місячна, зоряна, ясная,
    Видно, хоч голки збирай.
    Вийди, коханая, працею зморена,
    Хоч на хвилиночку в гай!

I am specifically perplexed by the second line, which appears to mean "it is visible, although gather needles" or something to that effect, which seems to make no sense. Could someone tell me what it really means? I suppose the needles could be in fact some thorns from the plants in the forest/grove, which is clearly a dominant element throughout the poem, but that wouldn't clarify matters for me either.

Thank you in advance

2. marco_2 Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    Hello 123xyz, the meaning of this line is that the moon and stars are shining so brightly, that you can see and pick up needles (never mind if they are needles used in sewing or e.g. pine needles). Хоч indeed means "although" or "at least" (поне) like in the last verse (хоч на хвилиночку), but it is also used in specific comparisons like in the second line.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  3. oveka Senior Member

Ukrania, ukraniano
    Ніч яка, Господи, зоряна, ясная,
    Денно, хоч голки збирай.
    Вийди, коханая, працею зморена,
    Хоч на хвилиночку в гай!

Це автентичний текст.
    Йде звернення до Всевишнього, до божої краси. Денно - видно, як вдень і тому можна збирати навіть голки, ці дрібні речі. Підозрюю, що мабуть і повня (повний місяць) і максимум еротичної енергії. А потім звернення до земного, до коханої. Але в сентиментальному ключі.

4. 123xyz Senior Member

Skopje, Macedonia
    Macedonian
    Thank you for the replies.