Ukrainian and other Slavic languages: Ватуля/Sheep

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by Selyd, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Selyd Senior Member

ucraniano
    In Ukrainian:
    Ватуйка - young gоаt
    Ватуйник - herd of young sheeps, gоаts
    Ватуйча - kid
    Ватуля - Sheep, for the first time having kid

Have such words?

2. Dhira Simha Senior Member

UK
    Russian
    Yes, I came across this word some time ago. The nearest cognate I could tentatively offer, is the Sanskrit vatsa 'a calf, the young of any animal, offspring, child; f. a female calf, little daughter'. The final -sa is a productive nominal suffix in Skr. and the root appears to be vat- but it is not attested. There is a note in MW dictionary : "prob. originally , " yearling " , fr. a lost word vatsa वतस्)" and a list of some possible cognates: [SIZE=-1]Lat.[/SIZE] vetus , vetus-tus, vitulus; [SIZE=-1]Germ.[/SIZE] widar, Widder; [SIZE=-1]Eng.[/SIZE] wether but this should be taken critically.

3. swintok Senior Member

English - Canada
    Цікаво! This is the first time I've encountered these words and I cannot find them in a couple of modern dictionaries that I've checked, not even the Акафдемічний тлумачний словник. I see, however, they are in Hrinchenko and I'll have to check my Andrusyshen when I get home, as it often has obscure agricultural terminology.

Are these words that a typical urban person today would understand and to what degree? For example, in English there are various terms for different sexes and ages of horses and cattle. If a typical English speaker heard the term stallion, filly, gelding, mare, etc., he might not know the differences between the terms, but would likely know they all refer to some kind of horse.

4. oveka Senior Member

Ukrania, ukraniano
    Міські не знають і приблизно.

5. thegreathoo Senior Member

Srpski
    Young goat - jare (also means a kid, but very very sparsely); jaran (musculinized version of jare) - means buddy, mate, friend in some regions and is widely used there.
    Young sheep - sing. jagnje, janje; pl. jaganjci, janjci, jagnjad, janjići, jagnjići (can't help but notice phonetic similarity with eng. ​young).
    We don't have a name for a pregnant sheep (fem. ​ovca), but there is a version with an adjective: sjanjena ovca.

6. Милан Senior Member

Novi Sad, Serbia
    Serbian (Србија)
    sjagnja, sjanjna or sjagnjena according to RMS.

7. DenisI

DenisI New Member

Russian
    I think this is some kind of dialect, probably the western one. I've never heard before.