Ukrainian: Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by mllen, Nov 16, 2012.

1. mllen New Member

Hey everyone, I'm going to be getting a tattoo for my Ukrainian father who passed away, it's going to say "unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" but I would like it written in Ukrainian. The two translations I have are "любов не може померти, адже вона безсмертна" and "кохання не може померти адже воно бесмертне" I was wondering if anyone could tell me which of the two are right, or provide an even better translation for me. Thanks :)
  2. Selyd Senior Member

Це стосується любки чи любчика:
    "кохання не може померти адже воно бесмертне".
    Оскільки це стосується батька, то:
    любов не може померти, адже вона безсмертна".
    А можна так:
    "Любов не вмре, вона назавжди зі мною". /The love will not die, she for ever with me./
  3. swintok Senior Member

English - Canada
    I like Selyd's suggestions, but Dickinson's poem refers to a person. "Unable are the loved to die" means that people who are loved cannot die because love is immortal. A more faithful translation of Dickinson's poem would be something to the effect of:

Улюблені не вмирають (не можуть умерти), бо сама любов безсмертна.

I'm not a poet in either English or Ukrainian, so there is likely a more poetic way to express this.
  4. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    Here's a Russian translation, apparently by Yakov Fel'dman, but it seems so loose that I can barely recognize the English original.
  5. Selyd Senior Member

Любленим не йде помирати, бо любов несмертна.
  6. swintok Senior Member

English - Canada
    Ото ж мені дуже подобається, Selyd.
  7. Selyd Senior Member

swintok'че, тішуся.