1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

UMTS [Universal mobile telecommunication<s?>]

Discussion in 'English Only' started by spugnetta.rosa, Jan 4, 2013.

1. spugnetta.rosa Junior Member

italian
    How is ti possible that UMTS is
    Universal mobile telecommunications system?
    where does the final s come from?

enigma!

2. mjfloresta Senior Member

USA English
    It's a common convention to use multiple letters (in this case the first and last) from the same word to form the acronym (Universal Mobile TelecommunicationS).

Which reminds me of a funny anecdote: My friends and I used to watch a comedy show called "Arrested Development". It used to be an amicable point of contention whether to refer to it using the acronym AD (Arrested Development - my friends' choice) or ADD (ArresteD Development - my preference :D). Let's just say..they disagreed with my manner of forming an acronym but as I said - it's fairly common practice, if in so doing an interesting or catchy acronym can be formed.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  3. elfa

elfa Senior Member

Bath, England
    English
    Hi mjfloresta

Isn't the "S" short for "System" though? I think spugnetta's question is why is there an 's' at the end of "Telecommunications". Am I right, spugnetta? Telecommunications in the plural refers to the variety of modes of telecommunications: e.g mobile telephones, internet, radio, TV etc.

4. mjfloresta Senior Member

USA English
    My apologies for completely missing the true question. I see what she is asking but in that case I'm not sure what the question would be? Telecommunications is one of those words that generally comes in plural form like "media", but in any case why would the plural s be a problem as far as the acronym is concerned? Or is the inclusion of the acronym completely throwing me off and she just wants to know why telecommunications is pluralized?

5. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    I trust that spugnetta.rosa will correct me if I am mistaken, but I believe she is asking about the 's' in telecommunications.

If so, this thread may answer the question: Telecommunication or telecommunications?

If this is not the question, please explain what you want to know and we will do our best to help you.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  6. spugnetta.rosa Junior Member

italian
    This was my question! I didn't know that Telecommunications could be plural anytime. And because I used to eliminate plural s in attibutions..this made my question arise.
    Thank you all.

7. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    It's not just "could be" ---- the word has an 's' at the end. See our dictionary

Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::

telecommunications /ˌtɛlɪkəˌmjuːnɪˈkeɪʃənz/n
    • (functioning as singular) the science and technology of communications by telephony, radio, television, etc

Also see:
    Telecommunication or telecommunications?

And .... "telecommunications" is not a proper noun. Don't capitalize it when it's not part of a formal name.