1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

un alto grado de fracaso y absentismo escolar.

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by bowarco, Nov 2, 2011.

1. bowarco Senior Member

Tenerife, Canary Islands
    Spanish-Spain.
    How would you translate into English the above expresssion.

Los niveles socio culturales actuales de la gente se caracteriza por presentar un alto índice de fracaso y absentismo escolar, un nivel bajo de educación y falta de motivación que, en muchas ocasiones, han hecho que los alumnos dejen de estudiar.[FONT=&quot]

People´s current cultural and social levels are characterised by the lack of motivation, a high level of school absenteeism and failure, low education grade, that, on many occasions, have made students give up studying.

Thanks a lot.
    Please correct any mistake I have made.....
    [/FONT]

2. fenixpollo

fenixpollo Mod Chicken

Arizona
    American English
    ...high absent rates and dropout rates...

3. VocabloTrad Senior Member

Barcelona
    English
    ...a high rate of school failure... low level of education[FONT=&amp] and lack of motivation[/FONT], which, in many cases, have led to students giving up their studies.

You need to keep the original word order.[FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]

4. fenixpollo

fenixpollo Mod Chicken

Arizona
    American English
    I'm not sure what "school failure" is. Based on suggestions made in other threads about fracaso escolar, I recommended "dropout" as a translation.
    I'm not sure why you would say that. If the original word order in Spanish does not sound natural in English, or if there is a set phrase in English that requires a different word order, then your translation should reflect the different order.

5. VocabloTrad Senior Member

Barcelona
    English
    While "school failure" is not necessarily a term I would personally use, there are plenty of reliable on-line sources using it.

By word order I meant the structure of the sentence. The original sentence is structured to indicate that "lack of motivation" it is one of the reasons for dropping out of school, which is also why I recommended "school failure" for "fracaso escolar" in the first part of the sentence, leaving "dropping out" or "giving up" for "dejar de estudiar" in the second part.

6. udogi

udogi Senior Member

Murcia, Spain
    Español - España
    Fracaso escolar es un concepto que no significa abandono. De hecho el fracaso escolar se debe aplicar a todos los agentes educativos que intervienen en los procesos de enseñanza y aprendizaje, como el profesorado. Suspender no implica necesariamente fracaso escolar. Aprobar sin aprender realmente sí que es un fracaso escolar.

7. bowarco Senior Member

Tenerife, Canary Islands
    Spanish-Spain.
    Muchas gracias a todos. Ha sido un thread muy interesante