1. brittynic Senior Member

California
    English-USA
    When I was saying goodbye to my friend I said, "Byeeee un beso"

He sent back a :eek: (embarassed face) and then lol.

He is just a friend...although sometimes we're flirty.

Is saying un beso wrong to say to a friend, and is meant for a boyfriend or love????

If so is there a way to say it without being suggestive or flirty?

2. Ninska Junior Member

Barcelona
    Barcelona - Català
    In Spain is common that we give a kiss to a friend everytime that we see or say goodbye. But may be she or he though that you don't normally do this kind of things and that for you un beso means more than a simple kiss... ;)

3. alexacohen

alexacohen Senior Member

Santiago de Compostela
    Spanish. Spain
    In Spain it is OK to send "un beso" to a friend and it does not imply at all that you're flirting.
    Exception: no man says "un beso" to say goodbye to a male friend unless he's gay.

4. K-Milla

K-Milla Senior Member

Mexico
    Mexico-Spanish
    In México is quite common to kiss your friends when you say hello or bye. But I think that this person was surprised because you mentioned it! I mean, we say that word if you are a couple or sometimes your mum tell you that you must give her a kiss.

5. juandiego

juandiego SE modera

Granada. España
    Spanish from Spain
    I don't know there but here you can send a kiss to a friend even if he's not your boyfriend. The fact that he felt embarassed with your kiss doesn't help to rule out that he doesn't care about it, or maybe he just felt charmed.
    We use to send un fuerte abrazo (a strong hug) to close friends but via email or letter.
    In my opinion a kiss can not be bad.

6. brittynic Senior Member

California
    English-USA
    Okay. I am a female. I have learned and speak Spanish from Spain. My friend on the other hand is Mexican. Haha maybe that changed things! Although I do agree that I don't say it often so maybe he just took it differently.

7. brittynic Senior Member

California
    English-USA
    ohhh no! haha I probably just totally made him think...hmmmmm Brittany....

8. juddth

juddth Senior Member

Chih, Mexico
    Mexico-Español
    hello!
    to say bye un beso is normal here in Mexico we greet that way, with a kiss, i mean you can tell him besos too and it is fine that is just a kiss, may be he did understand a different thing.
    regards! :)

9. Manuel G. Rey

Manuel G. Rey Senior Member

If a girl wants to emphasize it is not a 'love' kiss, she may say 'un besazo' or 'besos'. It is more or less like tu put XXX next to the signature.
    But don't forget that 'la española cuando besa, siempre besa de verdad' :):)

10. brittynic Senior Member

California
    English-USA

haha so cute! Gracias!

11. K-Milla

K-Milla Senior Member

Mexico
    Mexico-Spanish
    Yeah, but you say that when you know that you are talking with friends and you use that word all the time. I mean, one of my sisters write at the end of her emails ... besos besos and you know what does she mean. But she wouldn't say that if she talks to my uncle [he's a macho man! :eek:]

12. alexacohen

alexacohen Senior Member

Santiago de Compostela
    Spanish. Spain
    Un beso, Manuel ;)

13. juddth

juddth Senior Member

Chih, Mexico
    Mexico-Español
    dont you say that to your uncle?? mmm... ?? you say that to your sister and not to your uncle. but why? is strange but can be dependss where are you living. because here where i am living is normal :) is for affection. but i think you can say abrazos too (para no crear confusiones) :D
    greetings!!