1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

un cheque al portador

Discussion in 'Financial Terms' started by haniakg, Jul 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. haniakg New Member

Spanish
    Hola, alguien me puede decir cómo se indica en un cheque, en inglés, que se pague al portador?

2. alelifich Senior Member

3. lorena5231 New Member

español
    alguien sabe como se dice en ingles
    "al portador"

4. fsabroso

fsabroso Moderadiólogo

South Texas
    Perú / Castellano
    Hola,

todo depende del contexto.

Por favor, danos el contexto de donde lo escuchaste o leiste.

Bienvenido al Foro.

5. samueldclark Senior Member

Spanish-Mexico
    si es un cheque, creo que es bearer

6. fsabroso

fsabroso Moderadiólogo

South Texas
    Perú / Castellano
    Hola,

Holder, quien tiene el cheque.
    Bearer, a quien cobra el cheque ("al portador").

7. Fernita

Fernita Moderada-mente

Buenos Aires-Argentina
    castellano de Argentina.
    Totalmente de acuerdo con ustedes.

cheque al portador: a bearer check

Pero quien inició el thread, aún no contestó si se trata de un cheque.

Saludos,
    Fernita.

8. Don Miguel Junior Member

México
    English-US
    Pay to the bearer.
    Also used (at least in México) to write a check to the bank for cash.

9. zumac Senior Member

Mexico City
    USA: English & Spanish
    Checks in the US are pre-printed with the words "Pay to the order of" at the beginning of the payee line.

For a "cheque al portador" you can write "Bearer" on the payee line, but this term is now mostly out of use. The most common method today is to write "Cash" on the payee line.

Saludos.

10. Spug Senior Member

Hi,

That's interesting. I've never seen a check made payable to "bearer."

In the US, a check becomes a bearer instrument based on its payee or its endorsement. For example, a check made payable to "cash" is a bearer instrument. Also, if somebody gives me a check that is payable to me, and I endorse it in blank (a legal term), it too becomes a bearer instrument. In other words, anybody could take my endorsed check and (theoretically) cash it.

I worked in financial services for many years, and I believe that it is more appropriate to speak of "bearer instruments," of which checks that are payable to the bearer because of one or more of their characteristics, are one type. One used to hear too of "bearer bonds," but these are largely a thing of the past because all bonds issued for probably the last 25 years or so are "book-entry" instruments - that is , they exist in electronic form only in a custody system like DTC or Euroclear.

Hope this is of some help... saludos a todos.

11. Don Miguel Junior Member

México
    English-US
    Yes, I agree about the checks in the US.
    When I go to my bank here in México (Banamex), they want me to make the check out to "al portador"if I want cash.

12. Spug Senior Member

Hola Don Miguel,

Gracias por esa perspectiva mexicana. Interesante. :)

Saludos...

13. zumac Senior Member

Mexico City
    Hi Spug,

About a check made payabe to "bearer", which you've never seen, I did say that this was mostly out of use.

You're right, when you endorse a check made out to "cash", it is technically still a bearer instrument. I personally add this caption before I endorse the check: "For deposit only to the account of", followed by my name and account number, then my endorsement signature.

In Mexico, I encountered a practice which is quite strange to me. The maker of a check can draw two diagonal lines through the face of the check, which apparently means that the check cannot be cashed but only deposited into an account. I don't know if this also applies to checks made out to "al portador."

Saludos.

14. Masuas Senior Member

En New York un Cheque al portador es simplemente " cash". Solamente que en ésos casos, lo mejor es firmarlo por detrás o marcarlo ''solo para depositar'', de ésa manera si pierdes el cheque y alguien trata de cobrarlo, se van encontrar que el banco tiene que confirmar que sea la persona que firmó primero, nombre y # de cuenta; o sea que el ladrón tiene que depositarlo en su cuenta y por ende ser atrapado después por su número de cuenta.
    Pero '' al portador'' es simplemente ''cash, y puede ser utilizado de una persona a otra, pagar como si fuese efectivo, hasta que alguien verdaderamente decida hacerlo efectivo. No es muy común que éso pase, porque si esperas mucho, a lo mejor está sin fondos para entonces y se formó el lío de localizar al dueño inicial del cheque.

15. fsabroso

fsabroso Moderadiólogo

South Texas
    Perú / Castellano
    Hi Zumac:

In Chile they also do that, two diagonal lines, but this means you can't endorse the check; so it's cash it by the named person or deposit into his/her account.

Regards.

16. Chris K Senior Member

Tacoma WA, US
    English / US
    I've never heard the term "bearer check," though I don't doubt that it's used in the banking industry. Most laypeople would probably say "a check made payable to the bearer," or less formally "a check made out to cash".

17. zumac Senior Member

Mexico City
    Hi Fsabroso,

I didn't know that a check with two diagonal lines could be cashed by the named person. I wonder if that's also true here in Mexico.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

Saludos.

18. Ayutuxtepeque

Ayutuxtepeque Moderador

San Salvador, El Salvador
    Español salvadoreño
    This kind of check is known in Spanish as "cheque cruzado" and in English as "crossed check". Therefore, this is another kind of check very different to the "bearer check".

Even though, the Salvadoran Code of Commerce contains some dispositions regarding "cheques cruzados", so far, in El Salvador, I never have seen any of these checks, maybe they are used only in certain Latin American countries.

Saludes.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  19. zumac Senior Member

Mexico City
    I just checked the site of the Comisión Nacional Bancaria here in Mexico, and a "cheque cruzado" cannot be cashed. It can only be deposited.

Saludos.

20. Ayutuxtepeque

Ayutuxtepeque Moderador

San Salvador, El Salvador
    Español salvadoreño
    En vista que este tema ha sido ya suficientemente comentado y la pregunta inicial ha quedado más que contestada, este hilo se merece un justo y merecido descanso.

Muchísimas gracias a todos por sus aportaciones.

Ayutuxte
    Moderador

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.