1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

un cop aixecada la pedra a força d'estirar damunt

Discussion in 'Català (Catalan)' started by Luder, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Luder Senior Member

Nice
    USA English
    Because my Catalan is rusty, to say the least, and I have no knowledge of firearms old or new, I find the following sentence very hard to translate and would appreciate help (in any language, even if I write my question in English): De dins d'un recambró, vam treure'n una mala escopta i un parell di pistoles d'arçó, tan rovellades que, un cop aixecada la pedra a força d'estirar damunt del genoll, calia trencar-se el dit per moure el gallet i fer-la caure.

So: the horse-pistols are so rusty that un cop??? with the flint ("la pedra") raised by banging it with your knee (?), you had to break your finger to move the trigger and get it ("la pedra") to drop.

As you can see, this sentence doesn't really make sense in English, so I must be misunderstanding something!

2. Angelo di fuoco Senior Member

Germany
    Russian & German (GER) bilingual
    "un cop aixecada la pedra" means "once" or, especially here, "as soon as you had..."

3. Angelo di fuoco Senior Member

Germany
    "estirar damunt del genoll" doesn't mean "banging it with your knee" (but "genoll" means "knee"). However, my brain is to tired right now to suggest you a better translation.

4. Luder Senior Member

Nice
    USA English
    Thank you, Angelo! I'm going to suppose the last bit "damunt del genoll" means that the speaker is working on the pistol while holding it in his lap.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  5. Angelo di fuoco Senior Member

Germany
    I hope the administration doesn't object to my quoting from the multilingual dictionary of Catalan:
    http://www.grec.cat/cgibin/mlt00x.pgm

6. ernest_

ernest_ Senior Member

Barcelona
    Catalan, Spain
    A pisola d'arçó is a cavalry pistol from the 17th century that has a flintlock mechanism. Maybe something like:

...a couple of cavalry pistols so rusty that, once the hammer had been cocked by pulling it against one's knee, you couldn't pull the trigger without breaking a finger.

7. Luder Senior Member

Nice
    USA English
    Thank you both for the additional info!