1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

una brillante pluma

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by Diddy, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Diddy Senior Member

C.A. Spanish
    Hola Forum!!!!

Me podrían ayudar a traducir la siguiente oración? Pienso que "una de las plumas más brillantes, se refiere a una brillante escritora, qué dicen ustedes?

Hoy Doris Lessing puede considerarse como una de las plumas más brillantes de la lengua inglesa.

Today, Doris Lessing can be considered as one of the most brilliant writer of the English language.

O existe algún término que se adecúe más a esa expresión.

Mil gracias,

2. Jeromed Banned

USA, English
    Hoy Doris Lessing puede considerarse como una de las plumas más brillantes de la lengua inglesa.

Today Doris Lessing can be considered as one of the most brilliant writers of/in the English language. :tick:

3. cirrus

cirrus Senior Member

Warwick
    UK English
    Would we not just say "One of the most brilliant writers in English?" The language bit is understood.

4. DiscoKiller New Member

England, English
    if you were to omit the word language you`re probably best off changing 'in' to 'of' but then you`re kinda missing the point. '...in english' sounds a bit clumsy

'Doris Lessing can/could be considered as one of the most brilliant English writers.'

I guess the text (being written by someone who doesnt have enlglish as their first language) is making a point of emphasising that the writer writes in english...we would not make such a distinction as english speakers and so would just use the word 'english' to define nationality. I know there is no conditional involved but i think 'could' sounds a little more english, there is still the same meaning just in spoken english 'could' would probably be used more frequently especially if the statement is subject to discussion. 'can' appears to me as if the writer of the article is allowing me to say that doris lessing is a brilliant english writer rather than making a statement for discussion.

just a thought...

DK

5. Diddy Senior Member

C.A. Spanish
    Thanks to all of you for your contributions. I have learned a little more...... that is why I love this forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!