1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

una lunga piuma nera che gli scendeva fino alle spalle

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by Queen Elizabeth, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Queen Elizabeth

Queen Elizabeth Senior Member

Italy - Bologna
    Italian
    Here is the context:

Portava una ricca casacca di seta nera, adorna di pizzi di eguale colore, coi risvolti di pelle egualmente nera; calzoni pure di seta nera, stretti da una larga fascia frangiata; alti stivali alla scudiera e sul capo un grande cappello di feltro, adorno d'una lunga piuma nera che gli scendeva fino alle spalle.

and here is my translation:

He was wearing a sumptuous jacket of black silk embellished with a lace of the same color and with black leather lapels, pure black silk trousers wrapped by a wide long-fringed band, high top-boots and a big felt hat with a long black feather leaning to his shoulders on his head.

I don't know if to lean conveys the idea...

2. AlabamaBoy Senior Member

Alabama, USA
    American English
    Here's my suggestion:

He was wearing a sumptuous jacket of black silk embellished with the same colored lace and with equally black leather lapels, pure black silk trousers trimmed with a wide band of long fringe, high-top boots and a big felt hat on his head with a long black feather that drooped down to his shoulder.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  3. hinanoe

hinanoe Senior Member

Italian
    And if i had to talk about a girl's dark hairs, should I alwais say: «with long dark hairs dropping down to her shoulders», or is there a better way to say (=write) it?

The Italian sentence is: «Alta più di un metro e settanta e capelli corvini lunghi fino alle spalle.»

thanks,
    h.

4. AlabamaBoy Senior Member

Alabama, USA
    American English
    She stood taller than five foot seven with shoulder-length (raven) black hair.

5. hinanoe

hinanoe Senior Member

Italian
    Wow,
    thank you so much, AlabamaBoy.

in Italian the sentence is at the present tense. So I guess I may say "she stands taller than......",
    Isn't it?

6. rrose17

rrose17 Senior Member

Montreal
    Canada, English
    Is it really in the present? I don't see the verb. I guess AB wrote "she stood" because you wrote alta and not alto which in English you can't distinguish without adding the "she is/stands" Am I mistaken?
    Taller than 1.7m with shoulder-length jet black hair

7. You little ripper! Senior Member

Australia
    Australian English
    I presume this is the original text:

Sophie ha 24 anni. Alta più di un metro e settanta e capelli lunghi corvini fino alle spalle. Quando cammina per strada in molti allungano l’occhio per guardarla. Lei non degna nessuno. L’unico ad avere le sue attenzioni è Subash, il compagno che tiene per mano.

8. AlabamaBoy Senior Member

Alabama, USA
    American English
    Thanks, Charles.
    You can say 1.7 meters in some countries but in other English speaking countries (for example the USA), you would need to say 5 foot 7 or 5 feet seven.

9. hinanoe

hinanoe Senior Member

Italian
    thank you everyone :)