1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

una piccola realtà

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by rosecotton, Sep 27, 2011.

1. rosecotton New Member

Polish
    Hi!

How would you translate this sentence in English?
    Una piccola realta' nell'antico borgo di....

Please help,
    Thank you all in advance
    Rose

2. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator Staff Member

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
  3. rosecotton New Member

Polish
    Hi there,

Thank you for your reply.
    The sentence has been taken from bed&breakfast brochure.
    There is no particular context. It starts with ' Una piccola realta' nell'antico Borgo di......
    and then it says 4 bedrooms, a lovely dining room and a garden plus some facilites.

My attempt:
    A little reality of an old village, or of 'name' village, but I am nor really convinced...

Any ideas?
    Many thanks
    Rose

Sorry the sentence actually finishes with the name of the village. So Una piccola realta' nell'antico Borgo di 'nome borgo'. This is the whole sentence. It is out of context really.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  4. Einstein

Einstein Senior Member

Milano, Italia
    UK, English
    Here "realtà" doesn't mean "reality"; it's a difficult word to translate, but can mean situation, area, location. See which is appropriate.

Also have a look in the WordReference Dictionary for a translation of "realtà".

About the thread title: if anyone else wants to know how to translate "una piccola realtà", they will not find it in this thread, because you have called it "Please help with translation"! Please read the forum rules about thread titles.

5. rosecotton New Member

Polish
    Hi thanks for your help! I am new to this forum, so I do apologise for anything I have done wrong. I haven't had the opportunity to read the rules yet but I will definitely do so when I get a chance.

Forgot to add, I have naturally checked 2 or more dictionaries but they all tell me reality:(

What do you think about an old village dream? Maybe it is not the best word but it is impossible to translate literally.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  6. Einstein

Einstein Senior Member

Milano, Italia
    UK, English
    Unfortunately this use of "realtà" is fairly new, so the dictionaries tell you just "reality". I don't think you can say "dream"; what about "corner"?

By the way, if you want to add something to your post before someone else has replied, you can use the "Edit" button instead of writing new posts.

7. rosecotton New Member

Polish
    Corner is a good idea, I like it. Thank you
    Thanks for your tips!