1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Under the radar

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Antonio, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Antonio Senior Member

Monterrey
    Mexico/Spanish
    Hi Group,

What does "under the radar" mean" If somone is put under the radar means under investigation or what does this phrase mean exactly?

2. te gato

te gato Senior Member

Calgary, Alberta
    Alberta--TGE (te gato English)
    Hi Antonio;
    Usually when we say "under the radar" here it means that you got away with something that you should NOT have been doing.
    te gato;)

3. Antonio Senior Member

Monterrey
    Mexico/Spanish
    Can someone please give me an example to see how to use correcly this phrase?

4. jacinta Senior Member

California
    USA English
    This is a fairly new phrase and I understand it to mean that something, an issue or product of some kind, is being investigated but it exists. Maybe something that hasn't been fully tested or accepted yet.

5. te gato

te gato Senior Member

Calgary, Alberta
    Antonio;
    IF!!! it is like the saying here....You stay out LATER than you are allowed to, sneak into the house, and do not get caught..(All is well)...So the next day you are telling you're friends about it and one comments "Wow, you sure flew UNDER THE RADAR that time"
    I hope I did not confuse you........
    te gato;)

6. Antonio Senior Member

Monterrey
    Mexico/Spanish
    If you're dating someone, in what cases, can you be under the radar? Ahhh I get it, under the radar means to get caught or that phrase applies only before you get caught?

7. te gato

te gato Senior Member

Calgary, Alberta
    It only applies when YOU DO NOT GET CAUGHT...
    te gato;)

8. jacinta Senior Member

California
    USA English
    The term "under the radar" can be used in its literal sense, that being doing something undetected. But it also exists in a broader context as well. We are both giving the same definition. Here is an example:

"How do independent contractors—the central focus of Working Today—differ from the U.S. workforce overall?

They are people who are not connected to an employer. They are a new kind of workforce, one that is under the radar but getting quite large. I was a labor lawyer and union organizer, so I knew that this part of the workforce could not unionize because the law doesn't allow it to."

9. mylam Senior Member

Texas
    United States English
    Like te gate and Jacinta said, "under the radar" means to be undetected. The phrase refers to planes flying low to the ground so that they won't be detected by radar.

Hope this helps!
    Myla

10. Antonio Senior Member

Monterrey
    Mexico/Spanish
    Oh! now I see, but how can I be "under the radar" when I'm dating someone, in this particular context, what does "under the radar" mean?

11. te gato

te gato Senior Member

Calgary, Alberta
    Hola;
    As in using the term in the context of "dating someone"...I am not too sure?? Will have to keep thinking on this one SORRY...
    te gato;)

12. mylam Senior Member

Texas
    United States English
    Can you use the phrase in a sentence? That might help us. :)

13. Antonio Senior Member

Monterrey
    Mexico/Spanish
    The example I can think of, using the phrase "under the radar" in a dating situation, could be this one:

"If you're dating someone make sure you pass under the radar, just being relaxed, follow the rules, and I guarantee you, that you won't screw up and you won't get nervious at the same time, if stick to the plan" Now go get her, Tiger.

If I'm right or if I'm wrong with this example, please let me know.

14. Benjy

Benjy Senior Member

Milton Keynes, UK
    English - English
    meh.. my own take is that your trying to date someone without being noticed by someone else.. your parents the persons boyfriend etc...

15. pereza Junior Member

Madrid, Spain
    Venezuela, Spanish
    I think it means that you are dating her in secret. Nobody is aware that both of you are going out together.

16. sperdomo Senior Member

USA, English
    Hi Antonio,

If one of my friends said some guy she was seeing was under the radar, I would think she meant that either he wasn't doing anything special to catch her attention, or it could mean that she thinks he might be doing something wrong (like dating someone else secretly) but she doesn't have confirmation.

17. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    I hate to be the one to give you the bad news, but this sentence is NOT an idiomatic use of the phrase. As others have said, it means undetected, and more broadly, unnoticed.

"If we are going to date, we have to do so with great discretion/under the radar, or there will be lots of gossip about us."

saludos,
    Cuchuflete

18. monkey

monkey New Member

Florida
    USA/English
    In this context I guess it could possibly be used to mean to try to be "smooth" and not to do anything that would raise any red flags to the other person...

19. cojoilustrado New Member

New York, NY
    Spanish, English USA
    This is an old post but I'm going to leave an answer here just for the record. Under the radar means, without being caught, and you can infer the meaning literally to any stealth situation.

It is military slang. Radars (like the ones at aiports), cannot detect aircraft flying below certain altitude. So if you are flying a mission to destroy a target, you'll make sure you fly "under the radar", so the enemy doesn't detect your plane.

You can check its meaning on most Cold War era movies involving air craft missions. Also, there was a kid in the eighties who flew a plane to the Red Square in Moscow by flying "under the radar." When the soviets noticed, he was landing next to Lenin's tomb.

Many hollywood actors attend movie teathers and restaurants in disguise. They are trying to pass "under the radar," meaning, without calling any attention.

Cheers.

20. . 1 Senior Member

Ferntree Gully
    Australian Australia
    Welcome to WR cojoilustrado and thanks for reviving this odd old thread.
    To fly under the radar means to act in a way so as to actively avoid detection.
    It is the opposite of 'in your face'.
    There is an element of getting away with something but it is not necessarily bad.
    It seems quite appropriate to use the phrase in reference to celebrities avoiding too much exposure but it seems slightly out of place in a dating situation.

21. cojoilustrado New Member

New York, NY
    Spanish, English USA
    Hey, how are you. I've been using WR for years, it was time I posted something already.

In dating, I she could date her boyfriend under the radar, meaning wthout her parents' (teacher, friends, whatever) knowledge. Just like I used WR without logging in and stayed under the radar. You could have checked my IP address, but let's just ignore that fact for the example's sake.