1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Understanding Polish Accusatives

Discussion in 'Polski (Polish)' started by LeTasmanien, Feb 20, 2013.

1. LeTasmanien

LeTasmanien Senior Member

Gmina Karczew, Poland
    English British
    Greetings everyone,
    I am a bit confused by the occasional use of adjectival endings for certain types of nouns in the accusative case (biernik)

znam twojego brata I know your brother. OK
    znam twojego znajomego I know your acquaintance (male)
    Here Znajomy takes an adjectival ending but why? I know that narzeczony and krewny are similar.

to jest Jan Zieliński that is Jan Zielinski
    znam Jana Zielińskiego I know Jan Zielinski similarly why is this surname taking an adjectival ending?
    znam Jana Nowaka I know Jan Novak
    znam Ewę Zielińską I know Eva Zielinska Ewę is of course the usual feminine accusative form
    but this surname behaves like an adjective.
    znam Ewę Nowak I know Eva Novak

Are there any rules of thumb to help the beginner know where to expect these adjectival ending on some nouns and at least some personal nouns.

Thanks
    Phil.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  2. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska

Hi, Phil,
    Certain nouns in Polish decline like adjectives, because they are, in fact, ones. You will ofthen come across 'znajomy' used as an adjective, e.g. Znajomy lekarz polecił, żebym poleżał trochę w łóżku. It wouldn't be the case for 'narzeczony', though.

Here's what I've found in my dictionary:
    This is just a tiny fragment because there are a few good pages written on the subject of surnames' declension.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  3. LeTasmanien

LeTasmanien Senior Member

Gmina Karczew, Poland
    English British
    Thanks Thomas.
    That helps.
    Cheers
    Phil.

4. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    Why do you so staunchly teach Polish speakers and inhabitants of Poland what is correct Polish, not being any of them yourself?