1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

unfamiliar words

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Donnangelo, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Donnangelo Junior Member

Brazil
    Uruguay, spanish
    hi people!

I'm doing an experiment and looking for informaion in some papers I fond some words that I've never seen before:

-land-based
    -marketable
    -macroalgivores

I apreciate any help I can get,
    thank you in advance.

Donnangelo

2. Kelly B

Kelly B Senior Member

USA English
    Context would be very helpful, particularly for "land-based."

Marketable usually means that you could sell it.

Macroalgivore probably means something visible without magnification that eats algae.

3. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    Greetings Donnangelo,

4. Donnangelo Junior Member

Brazil
    Uruguay, spanish
    Well, the context is:

... experimental system for th e intensive land-based culture of abalone and seaweed...

thanks both!!

5. irisheyes0583 Senior Member

San José, Costa Rica
    English (USA)
    This means that the organisms live on land, as opposed to in the water or some other environment. I agree with the other 2 definitions. Good luck!

6. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    Oi Donnangelo,

Here we have what in WordReference is called a friendly disagreement.

I haven't seen enough context to be sure, but I would guess that abalone do not live where Irisheyes thinks they can, on land. Rather, I'm assuming that this reference is to farming abalone in land-locked ponds or lakes. The same is true, I think, for the seaweed. I've seen land-based shrimp farming like that in Costa Rica. Abalone and Seaweed are aquatic, so land-based implies that they live in land-locked water, rather than open sea.

até,
    Cuchuflete

7. Donnangelo Junior Member

Brazil
    Uruguay, spanish
    Thanks again everybody!!!!

Cuchuflete, parece que seu português ta muito bom! :)

8. Donnangelo Junior Member

Brazil
    Uruguay, spanish
    I think I have another question. I was looking for the word "diffusers", but I did not found it. I'm studing some water organisms so, I think that could be something like production of oxigen in the water but I am not sure.

9. Donnangelo Junior Member

Brazil
    Uruguay, spanish
    Well, now I have an expression in front of my eyes that I don't know what it means. The phrase is: ...juveniles were culled out after 184 days.

I appreciate any help I can get again!!

10. foxfirebrand

foxfirebrand Senior Member

The Northern Rockies
    Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    "Cull" means to sort out, usually for purposes of rejection. Bum steers are culled out of a herd. When you're rolling up the coins from your till, to take to the bank, you cull out the Canadians-- nothing personal, but the bank just won't take them.

In cattle-based states like Montana, certain people can be referred to as "culls."

"I found out it was Jim Church who was putting Canadian quarters in the keno machine. I eighty-sixed him."

"Good-- what a cull."

11. Donnangelo Junior Member

Brazil
    Uruguay, spanish
    Thank you foxfirebrand! And what about "frond"? Do you know what it means?

12. Kelly B

Kelly B Senior Member

USA English
    Hello, Donnangelo,
    Would you please start a new thread for each new term or question, including a sentence that provides context? You'll get better responses, and the thread will be easier to find if a fellow forum member needs the same information later on.

13. Donnangelo Junior Member

Brazil
    Uruguay, spanish
    Ok! Here I