1. salim_bouzidi New Member

arabic
    is there a difference between (unicity) and (unity)? thank you in advance.

2. Kelly B

Kelly B Senior Member

USA English
    Yes (edit: however, the definitions I've found for unicity do not agree with my notion of the word, so now I'm uncertain. :eek: )
    Do you have a complete sentence you wish to translate, or can you tell us what idea you wish to express?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  3. guitarefolk22 New Member

English - US
    Wow yeah, I'm having a little trouble with unicity - it's definitely not used very often. There seems to be a difference though, this quote comes up often:
    "Not unity, but what the schoolmen call unicity." - De Quincey

It kind of seems like unicity is more a "one-ness" as in the parts are inseparable to the point that they are no longer parts. Whereas unity is more different parts coming together, but the parts are still separate entities in a sense.
    For example, in a discussion about globalization, unicity refers to one global culture, like the whole world having one indistinguishable culture and unity refers to different cultures coming together in a unified harmony.

Does that make sense??

4. lucas-sp Senior Member

English - Californian
    1694 R. BURTHOGGE Composition is Unity, but simplicity is Unicity.
    1817 COLERIDGE For Unity or Unition, and indistinguishable Unicity or Oneness, are incompatible terms.

You've got it right! At least according to the OED. Unicity is "the fact of being or consisting in one in number or in kind; oneness." The Coleridge quote clears things up too.

But unicity has other uses too! Check this one out:
    Which..gives The Faerie Queene its unique unicity, if such a conceit may be pardoned. (from Saintsbury's "History of Elizabethan Literature")

Confusing, eh?