Unknown Language: duneta sapis, si cuneta lagis

Discussion in 'Română (Romanian)' started by boruma, Aug 30, 2006.

1. boruma New Member

English USA

this is a motto or aphorism, to guess from the circumstances of my coming across it, but, from the rural fastnesses of northern New England, I don't know how to find out what language is involved. If it is an accepted invented language, it may have borrowed elements that living languages developed for their own use (beside the obvious Roman letters). the "si" word perhaps connotes a conditional or an affirmative ['if' or 'yes'], and the '-is' could be second person singular verb forms.

That, however, is rank speculation and doesn't solve the problem. Over to you kind experts!
  2. It certainly looks like Latin, but then I don't know Latin, and may be quite wrong ;).
  3. Abu Bishr Senior Member

Afrikaans, South Africa
    I think the text might be Bulgarian.
  4. Chazzwozzer

Chazzwozzer Senior Member

Duneta can be ют, полуют then it's Russian written in Latin alphabet or any other Slavic language. Maybe Bulgarian, like Abu Bishr said.
  5. DrWatson

DrWatson Senior Member

Finland (North)
    If it is some Slavic language written in Latin alphabet, what's the 'c' doing there? If it's Cyrillic c, then wouldn't it be transliterated as ? My guess is Latin, or possibly Esperanto.
  6. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    It could be Cyrillic [ts]. However, it looks very much like Latin to me. I just do not know the words.
  7. Chazzwozzer

Chazzwozzer Senior Member

As a learner of Esperanto, I'd be surprised if it was in this language. I don't say it cannot be Esperanto, since I'm still learning, I just say it doesn't sound Esperanto to me.

Duneta and cuneta can be possible adjectives since it ends with "-a" but the following words, sapis and lagis can never be nouns. And since adjectives should modify the nouns, then it's not possibly Esperanto.
  8. cyberpedant

cyberpedant Senior Member

North Adams, MA
    English USA, Northeast, NYC
    Looked up some of the words in Notre Dame's Latin dictionary. "Si" was the only hit. Don't think it's Latin, or at least not classical Latin.
  9. senor_smile

senor_smile Junior Member

Seattle, WA USA
    English / United States
    If I were to try to translate this into english from latin, assuming that this were latin, it would come out "You taste dual-nets(things spinned or weaved) if you <lag__> cuneta." It sounds like one of those fake latin phrases that you find on templates and the like when you want the person to look at the design and not the text.
  10. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
  11. senor_smile

Seattle, WA USA
    English / United States
    Yes, it could. But, the verb and accusative noun used in the second part aren't found in anything I can find to be latin.
    Cuneta does appear at on wordreference as
    a spanish word I'd never heard before(I learn something new every day)

The fake latin that I'm referring to is that found at
    lipsum ( I can't post "URLs to other sites after you have made 30 posts or more.")
    I didn't find that exact phrase in any of the text, but it reminds me of it. Also, if you google it, you get nothing.

12. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    By accusative noun found in the second part, do you mean lagis? How do you know that it's a noun? I would expect a verb...
  13. Frank06

Frank06 Senior Member

Nederlands / Dutch (Belgium)
    It looks like Romanian to me... Can't help you with the translation, though.

14. senor_smile

Seattle, WA USA
    English / United States
    No, I meant cuneta. lagis definitely seems like a verb and would fit the pattern of an intelligible sentence.

I wonder where this phrase was found.
  15. FloVi

FloVi Senior Member

Deutsch / Deutschland
    My suggestion: Filipino or Samoan
  16. Henryk Senior Member

Germany, German
    I'd say Filipino.
  17. This is definitely not Filipino (Tagalog).
  18. HUMBERT0

HUMBERT0 Senior Member

Es rumano.
    I think.

I found this in a website that ended with .RO (romania?)

bah,aia e duneta.

ba cuneta
  19. HUMBERT0

HUMBERT0 Senior Member

Is this rumanian or Italian?
    pai ma bag eu dupa cum ti-am spus si din cate observ sunt ferm convins ca aiul se va descurca de minune alaturi de mine. oricum stiu foarte clar ca tre sa combinam si o fetita ca am auzit ca da mai bine la public. facem clip si ne-am chisat pe liviu guta si alti ca el. succes garantat. intre timp putem sa o punem si de o bauta ca si asta am auzit sa se poarta. mai turnam un paharel (imi calc pe principi) mai chiemam si 2-3 pasari de ziua ca dau bine si ele la ochiu` obosit, le imbracam cat mai gros sa nu care cumva sa se vada negi si alte alea si avem un hit.
  20. robbie_SWE

robbie_SWE Senior Member

Trilingual: Swedish, Romanian & English
    It's Romanian and A VERY STRANGE TEXT INDEED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where did you get it from??

:) robbie
  21. robbie_SWE

robbie_SWE Senior Member

Trilingual: Swedish, Romanian & English
    Regarding the "duneta sapis, si cuneta lagis": I doubt that it could be Romanian. Some words do look a bit Romanian on the other hand, but don't make a lot of sense.

cuneta = cunetă (a part of an irrigation system)
    si = şi ("and")
    duneta = dunetă (a part of a ship)

"Sapis" and "lagis" aren't Romanian.

Hope it helped, but I guess that it is another language, which is closely linked to Latin (all the words that I mentioned above are from Latin).

:) robbie
  22. alitza

alitza Senior Member

Romania, Romanian
    Yes, it's Romanian, but it's slang. K-gula is a Romanian hiphopper, hence the slang.
    I found a latin phrase that contains two of the words in the topic phrase: "ride si sapis" means "laugh if you are wise". Maybe we could start from that.
  23. papillon Senior Member

Barcelona, Spain
    Russian (Ukraine)
    I believe the title phrase may be a corruption of the Latin proverb
    Cuneta sapis, si cuncta legis that I found here.
    Not sure I like their translation.
  24. mansio Senior Member

It could be misspelled Latin.

"cuncta sapis, si cuncta legis" for example.

It could mean something like "you taste everything if you read everything"
  25. It does look like an invented language indeed since it doesn`t look like any of the real tongues. Looks like a combination of two or an example of corrupt spelling. It is DEFINITELY not Slavic, Samoan or Tagalog. It looks like Romanian, Moldovan? Except for the "latin-looking" sapis and lagis. Are you sure it is not some dead language?
  26. alitza

alitza Senior Member

Romania, Romanian
    I'm quite sure that Papillon and Mansio are right. It is too similar to the latin phrase to be in a different language.Besides, one could very easily take an "e" for a "c" if they're handwritten. As far as I'm concerned, this issue is settled!
    Don't you agree?
  27. mansio Senior Member

Your link in some Slavic language says "vse znash" for "cuneta sapis" which means something like "you know everything".

It was my first translation for sapis, then I remembered the word sapidity = taste.
  28. papillon Senior Member

Barcelona, Spain
    Russian (Ukraine)
    "you know everything" part actually sounds OK to me. The second part -- če vse bereš, which I think is Slovenian, would mean something like all that <you> take, I think is wrong. I will have to check that translation, but that's what it would mean in Russian.

Edit: I made a thread in the Slavic Forum asking to confirm the language of that Slavic website.
  29. Boruma, can you tell us more about the context where you found it? Maybe that clarifies something. See, there are plenty of dialects and minor languages that sometimes also use corrupt forms of other languages, but one cannot help wondering how one finds them in New England??:confused:
  30. HUMBERT0

HUMBERT0 Senior Member

I found it when I made a search for cuneta duneta in google, I don't know what's it about though. Many words look like they're similar to spanish: personae, suficienti, serviciu, nocturno, pagini, matinale, salutare, gradu, gestionara, si erau unele, piesa de colectzie, terminat, etc.

ma chiama foarte devreme la studio? It sounds like:
    me llama fuerte al devolverme al estudio

31. alitza

alitza Senior Member

Romania, Romanian
    As I said before, this is a text written by K-gula who is a Romanian hiphopper, it's slang and it talks about making a video for a song.
    "Ma cheama foarte devreme la studio " means " He asks me to come to the studio very early" ("devreme" ="early", "foarte" = "very").
    And yes, of course they look similar to Spanish words, since Romanian is a Romance language, just as Spanish is.