Unknown language/symbols - translation

Discussion in 'Other Languages' started by RichRich087, Aug 3, 2013.

1. RichRich087 New Member

english
    I was wondering if anyone could help me translate the language/symbols in the tattoo below. I don't know what language or system the symbols are from, but I thought this would be a good place to start.

20130603_162903.jpg
    thanks

2. Au101 Senior Member

London
    England, English (UK)
    Looks quite a lot like Nüshu to me (details can be found here: http://www.omniglot.com/writing/nushu.htm) or on wikipedia. I don't know anything about this script, though and it's just a guess. But it does look very similar, and - judging by the tattoo - whatever language it's written in is written vertically, from top to bottom. There aren't many scripts that do this and Nüshu is one of the few.

3. RichRich087 New Member

english
    thanks very much for your answer Au101! i was having a look through the symbols and while it is very simular i think there is some slight differences. You where saying that you think there is only a couple of languages that write down the way? is there anywhere i could find a list of these possilbly?
    thanks R
    ichard

4. CapnPrep Senior Member

France
    AmE
    There is a classification of writing systems by direction on Omniglot: click here.

5. RichRich087 New Member

english
    thanks for the reply i was looking through them and could it be that the language isn't in the list? or another alternative i was think that the artist changed the curviture of the script making it harder to find?:/