1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

unreasonable vs being unreasonable

Discussion in 'English Only' started by catherine1999, Jan 27, 2013.

1. catherine1999 Senior Member

chinese
    If that solution still proves too draconian for your headstrong daughter, then she is the one who is being unreasonable

What's the difference if "being" is omitted in the above sentence.

Is "being" an intensifier like "She DOES did it"?

2. Beryl from Northallerton Moderator

British English
    The use of 'being' implies that she could be otherwise.

>Is "being" an intensifier like "She DOES did it"?

I've never seen that before. If you meant 'she DOES do it', then my answer would be 'No, it is unlike this form of intensifier; in fact it's no form of intensifier at all'.

You might want to cite source to keep you on the good side of legal.

3. catherine1999 Senior Member

chinese
    Sorry, it's not from a novel or something. It's an episode from a search engine where the source is unavailable.
    It's hard for me to feel the sense that implies she could be reasonable.

4. Beryl from Northallerton Moderator

British English
    Sorry catherine, I could have put that better. Let's give it another go.

If she's being unreasonable, then perhaps it's a temporary phase that she's going through; maybe she'll things differently in the morning. It's a temporary state.

If she is unreasonable then there's very little prospect of her being amenable and so there's little point in trying to reason with her. It's a near permanent state.

I think that your sentence is sufficiently generic to discuss without your giving its source. You can relax.

5. catherine1999 Senior Member

chinese
    Thanks Beryl. I got it quite well this time.

6. Beryl from Northallerton Moderator

British English
    Given my previous ramblings on the matter, I think it only polite to point out that I think that dropping the 'being' from the OP sentence leaves you with one that is borderline pragmatically ungrammatical, and one that would only befit an informal register of discourse.