unter einem Zusammenfluß

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by Vladimir Nimčević, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Vladimir Nimčević Junior Member

Novi Sad
    Serbian
    Ich kann die Beschlüsse eines ungesetzlichen Convents, welche von einigen griechisch nicht-unirten Unterthanen unter einem Zusammenfluß von Fremdlingen aus Serbien gefaßt wurden, nicht bestätigen.

What does unter einem Zusammenfluß mean in the context?

2. Gwunderi Senior Member

German (CH) / Italian - bilingual
    Is this 18th century German? Of the times of the Ottoman Empire? Today you write "Konvent" and "Untertanen" (without "h"), e.g.

"Zusammenfluss" means that the Serbians came to join the Greeks making the decisions.
    He can't confirm the decisions made by the Greeks joined by the Serbians.
    ("Zusammenfluss" is usually used when two rivers join each other.)

3. Frank78

Frank78 Senior Member

Saxony-Anhalt
    German
    Not that easy:

"I cannot confirm the decisions of an unlawful convent which were passed by some Greek(-orthodox) non-Uniate (i.e. non-catholic) subjects under an assembly of foreigners from Serbia."

I read it as the Serbs were supposed to gather/assemble (Zusammenfließen).

4. Gwunderi Senior Member

Oh, it's "Serbs" and not "Serbians"! (my bad English). I first read that the Greeks assembled and were joined by Serbs, but now I'm not sure anymore (could also be some Greeks in an assembly of Serbs)?

And doesn't "Fremdling" sound rather pejorative? whereas "foreigners" is "neutral". But perhaps to mention that they are "foreigners" is already "banishment" enough.

Gwunderi

Edit: If the sentence was:
    "... von einigen griechisch nicht-unirten Unterthanen unter einem Zusammenschluss von Fremdlingen aus Serbien ..."
    than it would surely mean some Greeks in an assembly of Serbs.

But "Zusammenfluss"? I think today anybody would use this word, it's not familiar to me, and so I'm not sure if it has the same meaning as "Zusammenschluss" or if it inicates that the Serbs joined the Greeks? (a little complicated ... : )

While cooking I'm still thinking about this sentence : )

"Zusammenfluss" literally means "confluence".
    So I don't know if you can say it in English:
    " ... the decisions passed by some Greeks under the confluence of foreigners from Serbia."
    In this case the Serbs join an assembly of the Greeks.

"Zusammenschluss" is a sort of assembly, so the other possibility is:
    " ... the decisions passed by some Greeks under an assembly of foreigners from Serbia."
    In this case it's the Greeks who join an assembly of Serbs.

As I already wrote: a little complicated ...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2013
  5. Frank78

Frank78 Senior Member

Saxony-Anhalt
    German
    Maybe nowadays but not at this time.

It is NOT about Greeks as a people, I suppose.

"Griechisch nicht-unierte Untertanen" clearly is meant religious.

"Uniert" is an expression used for catholics from the east, whereas "griechisch" means "greek-orthodox, in my opinion. Since most Serbs are Orthodox it would make sense.

6. Gwunderi Senior Member

I also thought it could be an older form, but didn't want to complicate it more : )

You're completely right. If it was the Greek people he would say "griechsche (nicht-unierte) Untertanen", but so the religion is meant (almost surely).