1. tonguingaround Senior Member

Spanish Argentina
    Hi there..
    I heard a guy from US saying that he d be up shit creek if he hadn t invested his money somewhere else

I know the expression "up the creek". Is it the same ?

Thanks in advance
  2. sneaksleep Senior Member

I think "up shit creek" is derived from the older expression "up the creek without a paddle" (which is sometimes shortened to be "up the creek"). All three of them mean "to be in trouble."
  3. Javadaba

Javadaba Senior Member

Seattle, USA
    Castellano - Argentina
  4. Lou7676 Member

English - USA
    implica que está en apuros "up shit creek"
    sin remedio "without a paddle - sin un remo"
  5. wordfreek2 New Member

English - U.S.
    It may well be that Dos Passos was the first to put the expression into writing when he used it in 1937, but I'm told the sayings "up shit creek" and "up shit creek without a paddle" with the meaning of "in trouble" have been in use in the West Virginia hills for at least a century. In fact, there's even a creek in Braxton County, WV near Pigeon Run, a few miles from where my father was born, that's now known as Sugar Creek, but old deeds and maps from the early 19th Century show it as Shit Creek. I'm not saying the saying necessarily came from that creek or that creek was named for the saying, but either is possible.
  6. elbaciyelmo

elbaciyelmo Member

Oregon, USA
    English - U.S.
    También se dice "up a creek" ("up the creek" no me suena.)
  7. scotu Senior Member

Paradise: LaX.Nay.Mex.
    Chicago English
    What is the Spanish equivalent?
  8. SydLexia Senior Member

UK, English
  9. rainbow84uk Senior Member

English, UK
    I'd imagine something beginning with está más jodido que... but nothing as fun as 'up shit creek without a paddle' springs to mind to finish it off. I'm sure some of my friends could help though! ;)

L x
  10. scotu Senior Member

Paradise: LaX.Nay.Mex.
    Chicago English
    Thank you but does más jodido que... really relate?
    más jodido que...
    refers to a comparison (It's more f---ed up than....)
    Whereas Up shit's creek refers to having a big problem (in deep shit)
    without a paddle
    without a solution
  11. Cbes Senior Member

Scotu, yes it does and you need the comparison because its an ironic/funny expression with the "I have a problem" meaning.