1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Up-to-date and updated

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Artrella, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Artrella Banned

BA
    ARGENTINA Sp/Eng
    Good morning!
    Please when do I use these two adjectives?
    Is "up-to-date" used predicatively and "updated" attributively? Is this the difference between them?
    Could you please give me an example?

Thank you very much.

2. daviesri Senior Member

Houston, TX
    USA English
    I must say this is a hard one. They can be interchangeable based on the sentences below. Bottomline though, update is the process of bringing items up-to-date..

She is up-to-date on all the latest fashion trends.
    She has updated her fashion sense to incorporate all the latest fashions. (She has gone through the process to bring her fashion sense up-to-date.)

My anti-virus software is up-to-date.
    My anti-virus software has been updated. (My anti-virus software has gone through the process to bring it up-to-date)

http://www.thefreedictionary.com (source of definitions)
    up·date ([​IMG]p-d[​IMG]t[​IMG]) tr.v. up·dat·ed, up·dat·ing, up·dates To bring up to date: update a textbook; update the files.

n. ([​IMG]p[​IMG]d[​IMG]t[​IMG]) 1. Information that updates something.
    2. The act or an instance of bringing something up to date.
    3. An updated version of something.

up-to-date ([​IMG]p[​IMG]t[​IMG]-d[​IMG]t[​IMG]) adj.

1. Informed of or reflecting the latest information or changes: an up-to-date timetable.
    2. Being in accord with the latest ideas, improvements, or styles: up-to-date technology; up-to-date fashions.

3. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Up-to-date described the current condition.
    Updated also describes the current condition, but indicates that there was a previous version to which something has been done so that it is now more up-to-date.
    The software on my PC is up-to-date.
    My PC has up-to-date software.
    Either I have just bought a new PC with the latest software, or I have just had the latest software installed.
    The software on my PC has been updated.
    My PC has updated software. (This is a bit less likely)
    Someone has replaced the old software on my PC with a later version. Usually, that would now be up-to-date, but it may only be a more recent version.

:( Pipped by a minute Daviesri:)

4. Artrella Banned

BA
    ARGENTINA Sp/Eng
    I like this. :)

Daviesri thank you for your explanation and all those examples, you are always helping me!!! :)

5. mjscott Senior Member

Examples of used attibutively:

The up-to-date computer lab is a feature that attracts many students to this campus.

My updated software has caused more problems than I had maintaining the old program! (--Which is often the case with Microsoft (for me, anyway)).

6. rayb Senior Member

Chile - Spanish
    Art, I like too the explanations and examples you have got up-to-date (until now). In this context, my take would be that the nuance between the meanings of "Up-to-date" and "updated" would be:
    • "Up-to-date" = the current situation of the state of the art at today's date; and
    • "Updated" = the current situation of the state of the art at the date of the last updating.
    You know, for example, when you open a document on your PC or you access a page at the WWW you get allways the date of the last modification, which doesn't mean that the information you get is really up-to-date.

7. Artrella Banned

BA
    ARGENTINA Sp/Eng

Thank you Rayb and mj ;) :p :)

8. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    • I'm almost with you there. But in my world some people could be heard to say that they had just updated their PC from Windows 95 to Windows 98. I exaggerate to make the point that updating does not, necessarily, mean updating to the then-current state of the art:eek:

9. rayb Senior Member

Chile - Spanish
    I agree with you. However, strictly speaking, an updating not to the last version available should de called an upgrading.;)

10. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    A very fine distinction, thank you. I mean very fine in both senses - there's not much in it, and it's a distinction well worth making. I'll remember that next time they come to replace my PC:)

11. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    Having had the benefit of all the worthy answers, I'll condense mine:

Up-to-date= current
    Updated= made current

Here's a nuance for Rayb to consider:

In EN we would not say it quite this way. A likely sentence would include the term "to date" but not up-to-date if you mean up to the present or until now.

cheers,
    Cuchu

12. Artrella Banned

BA
    ARGENTINA Sp/Eng
    Art, I like too the explanations and examples you have got up-to-date (until now).
    So Cuchuflete, the sentence should be >>I like the explanations and examples you have to date, too??

I don't like this sentence either, wouldn't it be better to say " I like the explanations and examples you have so far"??

13. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    I too like the explanations and examples you have to date.
    (I couldn't cope with the "...to date too." ending!)

I have seen, but would probably not create:
    We have received 47 responses to our survey to date.
    To date, we have received 47 responses to our survey.

But like Artrella, I would go for "so far", or possibly quote an actual date.

14. garryknight Senior Member

Kent, UK
    UK, English
    It would be slightly more acceptable without the hyphens ("up to date") but it's still not quite right.

15. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    Artrella,

I was attempting to help explain that up-to-date was not quite right. I agree with you. "So far" sounds much better in this context.

The sentence should be (!) whatever your stylistic ear prefers, and mine is happier with 'so far' or "up to this point".

Un saludo,
    C.

16. gaer

gaer Senior Member

Fort Lauderdale
    US-English
    Curious—from MW

Main Entry: up·date
    Pronunciation: "&p-'data
    Function: transitive verb
    : to bring up to date

Main Entry: up-to-date
    Function: adjective
    1 : extending up to the present time : including the latest information <up-to-date maps>
    2 : abreast of the times : MODERN <up-to-date methods>

Merriam-Webster apparently sees a difference between "up to date" and "up-to-date".

However, as I examined usage, both seem to be used in the exact same way.

After skimming through the info here, the only thing that struck me is that "update" seems to be used a great deal when talking about computers, such as the "updating" of software.

Up to date—or up-to-date—seems to be used more generally. There seems to be a lot of blurring in meanings.

The biggest difference to me is that "update" is used as a noun or verb, while "up-to-date" is used as an adverb.

Am I missing something here?

Gaer

17. Artrella Banned

BA
    ARGENTINA Sp/Eng

Thank you C for the explanation!

Thank you Gaer for your help! :)

18. gaer

gaer Senior Member

Fort Lauderdale
    US-English
    You are welcome. Once again I found out that I am using words correctly in English without knowing WHY. :)

Gaer