upfront

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Antonio, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Antonio Senior Member

Monterrey
    Mexico/Spanish
    Hi Group,

I have a question so far, that confuses me a lot these days. upfront is the same thing as up front or not? I have an example for both words.

For upfront here's the example:

"No upfront fee"
    "He was upfront about his intentions"

For up front here's the example also:

"He was up front with me. He told me about the interest charges first"

Both words have the same meaning? or the meaning changes when you separete them one to each other?

2. angeluomo

angeluomo Senior Member

Vienna, Austria
    US English (German/French)
    No, they don't mean the same thing. There are some distinctions that must be kept in mind.

"No upfront fee" means "no fee in advance" -- i.e., no down payment.
    "He was upfront about his intentions" means "he was open or candid about his intentions."
    "He was up front with me. He told me about the interest charges first." Again, the meaning here is candid, honest.
    "He was up front in the line" has a spatial meaning, i.e., towards the front of the line.

The one point of overlap in these meanings and spellings is the use of both "upfront" and "up front" as adjectives to denote openness, candor and honesty.

Hope that helps,

angeluomo

3. Antonio Senior Member

Monterrey
    Mexico/Spanish
    Hi Group,

What would be the opposite of "No upfront fee" in this particular case?

4. foxfirebrand

foxfirebrand Senior Member

The Northern Rockies
    Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    Money down, down payment, or deposit required.

5. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    UpFront is also a registered trademark...I am quite familiar with it as I'm the one who trademarked it. It's derived from a term meaning early in a process, or at the initiation of the process.

The specifics leading to the use of the word for a software application:

I did some rather substantial market research prior to writing the specifications for a transportation management system. In speaking with heads of MIS/information technology/DP/buzzword of the week...and with the people in order processing, I asked where in the entire order fulfillment process they preferred to route a shipment...meaning when did they want to assign a pallet or a package to a carrier.

The nearly universal answer was up front, at the time of order entry. To ease the trademark application process, the words were contorted a little into UpFront, which is
    a midrange computer application that allowed order departments to route shipments.

cheers,
    Cuchuflete

6. Antonio Senior Member

Monterrey
    Mexico/Spanish
    The opposite of 'upfront' in the downpayment case would be 'in advance'?

7. Amityville

Amityville Senior Member

France
    English UK
    No, I think not. I think of payments as either upfront or by instalments. Upfront and in advance are usually the same.

8. Antonio Senior Member

Monterrey
    Mexico/Spanish
    I heard that one guy said to the other "I need 300 grand upfront and you'II get the job done" what he was saying so far?

9. digitallyours New Member

Serbia
    serbian english
    ok, I understand the meaning of the word "upfront" but what about when it's used like this: "Disco house: A more upfront variant of house"
    I cant implement the meaning somehow....

10. Brioche

Brioche Senior Member

Adelaide
    Australia English
    You need to pay me $300,000 before I start.

11. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Welcome to WordReference digitallyours:)
    Upfront in your example is only vaguely related to the definitions above. In your context, upfront means brash, in your face, direct, open, faster, louder ... possibly more aggressive?

Please note that this comment is from someone who would run miles rather than go near either disco house or house. Perhaps an expert will come along to explain in depth - and probably explain how far wrong I am;)

12. digitallyours New Member

Serbia
    serbian english
    ...well i think I'm an expert for house music :) ... and you gave me the proper meaning of the word.
    thanx a lot, I just found out about this forum and I like it.:thumbsup:

13. climbatizer Junior Member

Melbourne, Florida
    El Salvador - spanish
    Please keep in mind that people WILL use either form, we all make mistakes. you might also see up-front. There is noway of knowing what they mean by looking at the spelling, you have to understand the usual meanings of this word and try to see which applies best.