1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Upon arriving / arrival.

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by ArchTyrant, Feb 18, 2014.

1. ArchTyrant New Member

Seville, Spain
    Spanish
    Hi there. I'd like to know the main difference (if any) between these two. This is my very first feature in the forum so let me introduce myself; I am Jose Ramon, from Seville. I am a teacher and I intend to take the CAE this July.I am preparing it by myself after passing the FCE exam last year. I know I can do it but it's enormously time-demanding

Please feel free to correct me whenever it means to. I am really looking forward to improving my English.

Cheers!

R.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  2. Rubns

Rubns Senior Member

Extremadura/Spain/EU
    Español - Spanish (Spain)
    Hi ArchTyrant, and welcome to the forums. Since this is an English-Spanish forum, I'll give you my explanation in Spanish:

Upon arrival = a la llegada. Por ejemplo: you can pay upon arrival (puedes pagar justo a la llegada).
    Upon arriving = al llegar. Por ejemplo: upon arriving at the hotel, we were greeted by a friendly staff. (al llegar al hotel fuimos recibidos por un personal muy amable).

¡Saludos! Y espera alguna sugerencia más.

3. ArchTyrant New Member

Seville, Spain
    Spanish
    Thanks for answering. Sure it will come in handy. I was trying to figure out which one would fit best in this sentence:

"Upon arriving/arrival, let me know wheter you need me to pick you up; we have tons of stuff to share".

Again, thank you. :)

Cheers!

R.

4. kayokid

kayokid Senior Member

Chicago
    English, USA
    Hello. Personally, I don't see too much difference here.

'Upon arrival' sounds pretty neutral to me. I think I would say 'upon your arrival'.

Most important to me, in terms of both of these --- they really sound very formal to me. I think you would hear: "When you arrive/get in/get here, etc.' much more often particularly in informal speech and writing.

Hope this helps.

5. ArchTyrant New Member

Seville, Spain
    Spanish
    Okay Kayo. I got it. Really helpful. I am afraid it sounds very formal even though I tried to mean just the opposite. The real problem is that I am supposed to use a wide range of vocabulary in the CAE exam and because of that I often find myself using more -lets say sophisticated- st4uctures and words.

Would "upon arriving" be incorrect? Or just kind of weird?

Thank you.

Cheers!

R

6. kayokid

kayokid Senior Member

Chicago
    English, USA
    Personally, I think either 'upon arriving' or 'upon (your) arrival' would work -- but as I said I think it is much more formal. It is something that I would expect to read but not say.

Un saludo.