upskirt photo

Discussion in 'English Only' started by redgiant, Feb 23, 2013.

1. redgiant Senior Member

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    Our local paparazzi are obsessed with getting shots of celebrities in skirts uncrossing their legs while seated at parties or formal events. This kind of picture is constant fodder for gossip magazines. Depending on how popular the celebrities are, their pictures might make it to the magazine covers and become widely distributed on the internet. A post to Yahoo!Answers (Hong Kong version) says that this kind of picture (Accidental exposure when seated) is called "upskirt photo". Does this term register with you? Is it okay to say

The gossip magazine issued an apology in Feb edition for publishing an upskirt photo of a celebrity during a fund-raising event after 10000 women took to the street to protest against it.

2. lucas-sp Senior Member

English - Californian
    That's exactly how I understand the term "upskirt photo."

3. Egmont Senior Member

Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    An upskirt photo is any photo of a woman's underwear or private parts inside her skirt. It is not necessarily taken when the woman is seated, and it is not always accidental.

4. redgiant Senior Member

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    Thank you~ Yes, I shouldn't rule out some of them may be intentional. Some vacuous C-list celebrities do make a habit of exposing themselves a little bit to cameras deliberately as a desperate attempt to get mentioned in gossip magazines or, if it's a slow week, make the front covers.

5. perpend

perpend Senior Member

American English
    ... up-skirt (compromising) photo ... 10,000 women ...

6. redgiant Senior Member

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    Thank you, perpend. Does "compromising photo" fit my example? I just looked under Google Images for the sake of finding out the truth:eek:. Most of them were some people being caught in an embarrassing position that would leave themselves open to wild speculation.

7. perpend

perpend Senior Member

American English
    Hi redgiant, I am so wrong! I would have hyphenated (up-skirt) or used "up-the-skirt", but you are/were right, of course.

Upskirt refers to the practice of making unauthorized photographs under a female's skirt, capturing an image of her crotch area andunderwear. The term "upskirt" can also refer to a video, illustration or photograph which incorporates the upskirt image. The term is also sometimes used to refer generically to any voyeur photography – i.e. catching an image of somebody unaware in a private moment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upskirt

I envisage "compromising" to mean the same thing, but maybe it's too tame! :)

"upskirt" seems standard, according to Wikipedia.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  8. Saluton Senior Member

Moscow, Russia
    Russian
    I guess they could be authorized and taken under a male's skirt, for that matter...

9. perpend

perpend Senior Member

American English
    That gives a new meaning to "upkilt". :)