Urdu: تحدی and challenge

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by Alfaaz, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
    Background:
    A few words that have been discussed or mentioned in other threads are: مقابلہ، للکار/للکارنا، مبارزت

Questions: Could forum members provide example sentences illustrating the difference between all the words, any limitations that one might have in comparison to the other, and in which context each word would be considered appropriate to use?
    For example, would تحدی be more frequently used in religious contexts (or is it mere coincidence that both examples listed in the dictionary are related to the topic of religion)...?

He took the new position as a challenge.
    The course provides challenging material to students for greater understanding of the subject.
    She accepted the challenge by participating in the competition.
    Their opponent challenged the claims made in court.
    The lack of resources posed a challenge to volunteers.

2. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    As mentioned in the other thread (Urdu: scandal), it would be quite difficult to find an exact match that would serve all usages of the English word. The usages you provided in your sample sentences display a certain variety. Well, that being said I can say from my reading experience that the word chelanj (English loanword) is used abundantly since it has the semantic scope which is desired to have your sentences translated into Urdu, using one single word.

I have to admit that I don´t like this usage. I join you in your query, but let it be noted, someone might wish to write a thesis on this subject, as you have posed so many broad questions. That might be the reason of no answers till now. I don´t think تحدی can be used for a challenge.

3. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    yih maHfil jo aaj sajii hai
    is maHfil meN hai ko'ii ham saa
    ham saa ho to saamne aa'e!

Alfaaz SaaHib, as marrish SaaHib has indicated, one Urdu word does not fit all the contexts in the sentences you have provided. Here is an attempt.

us ne na'ii suurat-i-Haal ko ek aazmaa'ish samjhaa

The course provides challenging material to students for greater understanding of the subject.
    yih nisaaab mazmuun kii bihtar tafhiim ke liye talabah ko zihn-aazmaa mavaad faraaham kartaa hai.

us ne is muqaabile meN shirkat kar ke (un kii) lalkaar ko labbaik kahaa.

un ke Hariif ne 3adaalat meN kiye jaane vaale da3voN ko radd kiyaa.

vasaa'il kii qillat razaa-kaaroN ke liye ek rukaavaT saabit hu'ii.

The word "xvaan" as in "haft xvaan-i-rustam", I think, does imply "challenge". A simple Urdu literal equivalent could be "bulaavaa". "ma3rakah" in the right context perhaps also could relate to "challenge". I do not have any problem in using the English word "challenge" as an all purpose word. For "challenging" one could say "challenge-xez".

I have not come across "taHaddii" (taHadd-in) which also means "provocation".

If I were to "invent" a word that could be an all purpose one to replace the English word....how about...............

aazmuunah from aazmuudan (on the pattern of namuunah from namuudan)

Now substituting this word in my translated sentences..

us ne na'ii suurat-i-Haal ko ek aazmuunah samjhaa

yih nisaaab mazmuun kii bihtar tafhiim ke liye talabah ko aazmuun (ah)-xez mavaad faraaham kartaa hai.

us ne is muqaabile meN shirkat kar ke (un ke) aazmuune ko labbaik kahaa.

un ke Hariif ne 3adaalat meN kiye jaane vaale da3voN ko aazmuunaa/aazmuun kiyaa.

vasaa'il kii qillat razaa-kaaroN ke liye ek aazmuunah saabit hu'aa.