Urdu: تخس

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by Alfaaz, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
    Definition: تُخَس (عبرانی) اسم نکرہ : معانی : آسمانی رنگ۔

Questions: Is this word used often in Urdu? What would be synonyms in Urdu and/or English? Would the usage in the following sentence be correct?

باعث تلوث تخس تبدیل ہو رہا تھا

The color of the sky was changing due to pollution.

2. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    ^ You could possibly answer the question yourself Alfaaz SaaHib. Have you often come across this word? I have never, not even once, heard it or seen it written. It most probably does exist in the "Dictionary of Most Obscure Urdu Words Ever"!:)

Is the usage correct? Even if the second and third word in the sentence were part of normal Urdu, IMHO, the sentence does not look/sound right. If "tuxas" means "aasmaanii rang" and "talavvus" is "pollution", then the sentence would mean..

Due to pollution the "sky-blue" was changing.

Most people would express the idea behind your translation as "aaluudagii ke baa3is aasmaan kaa rang tabdiil ho rahaa thaa".

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  3. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
    OK, so آسمانی رنگ here means "sky-blue" and not the actual color/condition of the sky.

4. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    I agree with QP SaaHib's reply, on all points. I have also never seen this word before your post Alfaaz SaaHib. Mind puzzling query indeed. aasmaanii rang is not equivalent to the colour of the sky, the latter being aasmaan kaa rang. Another word for this colour could be aabii.

5. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    Alfaaz SaaHib, I'm afraid the online dictionaries once again seem to have let us down!

This is what I found:

Urdu Bible (online)
    اور اس پر تخس کی کھالوں کا ایک غلاف ڈالیں اور اوپر بالکل آسمانی رنگ کا کپڑا بچھائیں اور اس میں ا س کی چوبیں لگائیں

Numbers 4:6

Arabic Bible Online 1
    6وَيَجْعَلُونَ عَلَيْهِ غِطَاءً مِنْ جِلْدِ تُخَسٍ، وَيَبْسُطُونَ مِنْ فَوْقُ ثَوْبًا كُلُّهُ أَسْمَانْجُونِيٌّ، وَيَضَعُونَ عِصِيَّهُ

مِنْ جِلْدِ تُخَسٍ min jildi tuxasin = تخس کی کھال tuxas kii khaal

Steingass’ and Hava’s Classical Arabic lexicons give تُخَسٍ tuxas = dolphin !!

Now we have a word for dolphin in Urdu!

Arabic Bible Online 2
    وَيَضَعُونَ فَوْقَهُ غِطَاءً مِنْ
    جِلْدِ الدَّلْفِينِ، وَيَبْسُطُونَ فَوْقَهُ ثَوْباً مِنْ قُمَاشٍ أَزْرَقَ ثُمَّ يَضَعُونَ عِصِيَّهُ

جِلْدِ الدَّلْفِينِ (min) jildid-dalfiini = Dolphin skin

Al-Qaamuus Al-MuHiiT

My al-qaamuus al-muHiiT also gives التُّخَسُ at-tuxas = Dolphin.

التُّخَسُ
    (القاموس المحيط)
    التُّخَسُ، كصُرَدٍ: دابَّةٌ بَحْرِيَّةٌ تُنَجِّي الغريقَ، تُمَكِّنُهُ من ظَهْرِهَا لِيَسْتَعِينَ على السِّباحَةِ، وتُسَمَّى: الدُّلْفينَ.

The Official King James’ Bible Online
    And shall put thereon the covering of badgers' skins, and shall spread over it a cloth wholly of blue, and shall put in the staves thereof.

Numbers 4:6

The King James’ Bible’s mentioning badger skins was most likely a compromise to give a meaning that would be better understood in the then prevailing British culture where dolphin may not have evoked the same feeling.

The Common English Bible
    has تُخَسٍ tuxas equivalent as ‘fine leather’ but also gives ‘dolphin skin’ as an alternative. The International Edition has ' skins of sea cows' instead

The confusion with blue colour may have come from what follows, i.e. the mention of أَسْمَانْجُونِيٌّ 'asmaanjuuniyyun (= sky-blue / cerulean), which is more or less the same as أَزْرَق azraq (= blue) although the latter would be darker, I guess. Some Arabic Bibles do have the latter instead.

(Not sure if the Arabic تُخَسٍ tuxas (= dolphin) has a Bibilcal Hebrew cognate but in Modern Hebrew: דּוֹלְפִין dolfiin )

So now your sentence above becomes:

باعث تلوث تخس تبدیل ہو رہا تھا
    The dolphin was changing due to pollution
    !!

6. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
    Thanks for the answers everyone (especially Faylasoof SaaHib for the detailed and enlightening response)!
    Interesting. Is مؤنث تخس or مذکر ? Are there other words that could mean color of the sky, apart from the phrase aasmaan kaa rang?

7. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Like Faylasoof SaaHib, I also found one or two examples of "tuxas" in the bible (Urdu translation) but I did not feel it was really relevant to the meaning Alfaaz SaaHib had provided. The conclusion one can draw is that in Urdu, "tuxas" is n't even "naadir", let alone "ba-kasrat"!