1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Urdu: دور کرنے میں

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by teaboy, Jul 22, 2013.

1. teaboy Senior Member

USA
    English
    Here is a sentence about the beneficial effect of mangoes:

یہ دل اور معدے کے امراض کو دور کرنے میں مدد دیتا ہے۔

It helps in the "making distant" of heart and stomach patients??
    Or is this something about circulation?

2. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    This (the mango fruit) helps in removing heart and stomach diseases.

(قریشپورکبھی کبھی اردو کی پیچیدگیاں دور کرنے میں مدد کرتا ہے)

3. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Perhaps ''maraz duur karne meN madad detaa hai'' would be ''helps to get rid of a disease'' while ''duur rakhne meN'' would be 'to keep the disease at bay".

4. Qureshpor Senior Member

دور دنیا کا مرے دم سے اندھیرا ہو جائے
    ہر جگہ میرے چمکنے سے اُجالا ہو جائے

اقبال

May my presence take away the darkness of this world
    May there be brightness everywhere through my glowing

An apple a day keeps the doctor away
    Two mangoes a day keep ailments away :)

5. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    Not "making distant" but preventing!

یہ دل اور معدے کے امراض کو دور کرنے میں مدد دیتا ہے۔
    This helps prevent heart and stomach ailments

6. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    So far three posters have replied and each of us has a different taking on this simple sentence!

7. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    ^ Well, it wouldn't be the first time and certainly not the last!

Besides, we need to be keep in mind that literal meanings are not always implied in usage. Here, دور کرنے میں implies prevention or more accurately, in preventing, when translating into idiomatic English. By keeping things at a distance also means the same generally, i.e. you are preventing them from affecting you! This is standard Urdu usage where I come from. We needn't do literal translations when idiomatic ones would serve us better.

8. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    But most of the times we tend to agree, Faylasoof SaaHib. I suggested duur rakhnaa would be equivalent to preventing (keeping at bay) but I thought duur karnaa was getting rid of in a condition of already having been a patient... Of course I understand and agree with your explanation and it is something that can serve as a motto!, however I find my approach also plausible.

9. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    marrish SaaHib, I think I can see your argument but what I'm saying is that that the way we use duur karnaa in this context would be not just quite OK to translate as prevent, but in fact we use it that way. Also, duur rakhnaa and karnaa both can be used and we might end up weighing the pros and cons of one over the other but it really wouldn't change the overall meaning.

One can also argue that really it means to cure!

10. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
  11. Qureshpor Senior Member

The after effects of the earthquake can not be prevented because they have already taken place. What one can do is to help reduce them or even better remove them.

http://urdu.ruvr.ru/2013_07_23/118394289/

روس زلزلے کے اثرات کو دور کرنے میں چین کی مدد کرنے کے لیے تیار ہے: پوتین

ٓAnother example:
    ملک میں بجلی کی قلت کو دور کرنے کیلئے نجی شعبہ کی سرمایہ کاری اہم کردار ادا کر سکتی ہے۔

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  12. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    duurn karnaa can be used in more than one way!

I doubt if the effects of earthquakes can really be removed as there shall always be effects. Yes, we can reduce them in this instance, but equally preventive measures can be taken.

The above sentence by itself doesn't in any way suggest that an earthquake has taken place. The suggestion can be of taking preventive measures for any effects of future earthquakes. If a quake has taken place then the expression duur karnaa here implies remedying the situation.

For the second one too the implication is preventive measures / remedy for electricity supply shortfalls and load shedding.