Urdu: دہلی ہنوزمبعلق

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by Gope, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Gope Senior Member

From todays headline
    دہلی ہنوزمبعلق
  2. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    Can you give us a reference to this headline?

The original is : هنوز دہلی دوراست = Delhi is far yet = Delhi is still far - meaning one has a long way to go yet!

مبعلق is the word that puzzles me! The miim م at the beginning implies that it is a derivative of a quadriliteral Arabic root verb, which, BTW, are much fewer in number than the triliteral or triconsonantal root ones, and although I don't have a comprehensive list of Arabic quadriliteral root words, this one I'm unaware of.

I guess this might be a typo of some sort, since words such as مبلغ ، مبلع، مبلق etc. just don't fit either.... or it is a completely new word, in which case I'd be delighted to add it to my vocabulary!
  3. Gope Senior Member

Inquilab, from Bombay, todays top headline.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
  4. Gope Senior Member

It is in the top headline of inquilab of MUMBAI today, the rest of the headline follows a comma and says AAP LAYS DOWN CONDITIONS.
    I could not find this word anywhere.
  5. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    OK! I just saw it. No, it is not a typo but the way it is typed can be misread by those not accustomed to reading the script, esp. when words are squashed together as often happens in a headline. It actually reads: دہلی ہنوزمعلق dehlii hanoz mu3allaq

معلق mu3allaq = Hanging (in the air), suspended etc.

There is more than one way to use mu3allaq but when we wish to imply that something is not going anywhere / someone is dumbfounded / an action (response) is pending with no immediate progress, then we can use this word, e.g.

maiN ne use aisaa jawaab diyaa keh woh mu3allaq ho gayaa aur sochne lagaa
    I gave him such a reply that he was confounded and started to think.

Even this, and in good humour:

jab maiN hawaa'ii aDDe gayaa to (hawaa'ii) jahaaz to mu3allaq ho chukaa / uR chukaa thaa!
    When I went to the airport the plane had already taken off!

In the above, the use of mu3allaq honaa makes it rather funny. Here we are talking about the subtlety of language.

Although I have no time to read the rest, by itself in the context of the rest of the sentence دہلی ہنوزمعلق dehlii hanoz mu3allaq can mean " Delhi still confounded".

This is meant to be a pun on the original!
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  6. Gope Senior Member

thank you, Faylasoof Saheb, now I see that the dot over the last letter of hanoz got mixed up, in my eye anyway, with the following word, as you have rightly diagnosed. And yet this style of writing urdu has a beauty of its own.
    i recall Lewis Carroll:
    He thought he saw a banker's clerk descending from the bus
    He looked again and found it was a hippopotamus