Urdu: روگ ایسے بھی غمِ یار سے لگ جاتے ہیں

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by Alfaaz, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
    Background:

روگ ایسے بھی غمِ یار سے لگ جاتے ہیں​
    در سے اُٹھتے ہیں تو دیوار سے لگ جاتے ہیں

پہلے پہلے ہوس اک آدھ دکاں کھولتی ہے​
    پھر تو بازار کے بازار سے لگ جاتے ہیں

احمد فراز

Questions:

• Would you say the اُٹھتے ہیں describes the روگ (personifying them, as seems to have been done with ہوس in the second quoted couplet) or just the روگی?
    • What could be appropriate ways to express پہلے پہلے and اک آدھ in English?
    • How could بازار کے بازار سے لگ جاتے ہیں be translated into English?
      • The usage of سے seems to be similar to that discussed in this thread.

2. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Hello,

It is ''yes'' to the first question although I would not say it is a personification; perhaps "animization"? It is not rogii, the poet speaks of rog.

The remainder of your questions is about English - and I don't consider myself able to say anything about English in front of you. All I can do is to try to explain the meaning, but finding a suitable word or expression of English for these Urdu phrases should be on your shoulders. I will certainly benefit from your findings!

(I'm quite sure ik-aadh (ek aadh) has been discussed before by no-one else than someone who has a weakness for the word ''rog'' so I think it is possible the English translation is there). I'm sorry if I couldn't answer to your satisfaction.

3. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Answer to second, third and fourth questions. (First is for a poetry forum, in my humble opinion, that is!)

pahle pahle/Initially, in the beginning

ik-aadh dukaaN/ the odd shop

baazaar ke baazaar/ A whole bunch of markets

se/like, resembling, kind of

4. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
    Thanks for the helpful answers.