1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Urdu: شہری حکمت کی کمان سنبھالے ایڈمنسٹریٹر

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by teaboy, Jan 13, 2013.

1. teaboy Senior Member

USA
    English
    How would you translate شہری حکمت کی کمان سنبھالے ایڈمنسٹریٹر ? "City Government...Administrator" I see, but what does کمان سنبھالے mean? Command Support?

2. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    janaab-i-vaalaa,

kyaa yih mumkin hai kih aap apne savaale ke silsile meN thoRaa saa siyaaq-o-sibaaq (context) pesh kareN? sirf ek do satreN kaafii hoN gii.

3. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    I join Qureshpor SaaHib in his request for any context, which is an essential matter for figuring out any sensible assistance you deem necessary now and in the future as well. I'm afraid that the responses to the queries without any context are doomed to be inadequate. In the meanwhile, حکمت doesn´t seem to be ´government´ at all.

4. teaboy Senior Member

USA
    English
    منہ کے کینسر کے مرض میں اضافہ کرنے والی مضر ِ صحت اشیاء پان،چالیا اور سگریٹ۔ کراچی میں کھلے عام بکتے ہیں۔ گٹکے پر پابندی لگائی جاتی ہے، مگر وہ عرضی ہوتی ہے۔ شہری حکمت کی کمان سنبھالے ایڈمنسٹریٹر کراچی محمد حسین سید نے اس ہولے سے آگا ہی مہم شروع کرنے کا فیصلہ کیا ہے۔

5. Qureshpor Senior Member

Please allow me to type this in Roman for everyone's benefit, with possibly one or two corrections (underlined).

muNh ke kainser ke maraz meN izaafah karne vaalii muzirr-i-siHat ashyaa', paan chhaliyaa aur sigreT, Karachi meN khule 3aam bikte haiN. guTke par paabandii lagaa'ii jaatii hai magar vuh 3aarizii hotii hai. shahrii Hikmat kii kamaan saNbhaale, Administrator Karachi MuHammad Hussain ne is hayuule (?) se aagaahii-muhimm shuruu3 karne kaa faisalah kiyaa hai.

[..] entrusted with the command of civic policy, Administrator [of] Karachi Muhammad Hussain has begun an information venture for this phenomenon.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  6. Qureshpor Senior Member

7. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    ^Something is missing here.

I think this excerpt has a couple of misspellings. ہولے سے can be simply haule se but I think it ought to have been حوالے سے Hawaale se. And although حکمت Hikmat seems to make sense as well, I think it is rather حکومت Hukuumat (not Hakuumat!).

8. teaboy Senior Member

USA
    English
    You are right -- I listened again to the report and it is hukuumat حکومت . Also thank you for the spelling on حوالے سے. It is from this video on BBC..... about 1:19 in.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  9. Qureshpor Senior Member

Would that you had provided proper context in the first place! That would most certainly have saved some valuable time.

10. Todd The Bod Senior Member

Ngo hai ni doh
    English-Midwest
    Holy cow! Teaboy's left me in the dust! This guy's amazing! I'm truly impressed with his progress!

11. Qureshpor Senior Member

Perhaps you ought to follow the example of Faiz.

ham parvarish-i-lauH-o-qalam karte raheN ge
    jo dil pih guzartii hai raqam karte raheN ge

12. teaboy Senior Member

USA
    English
    My apologies, QP Sahib. I was assuming that the complete phrase was some form of a job title, and that it was complete within itself. I also don't want to wear out you ustaads with unnecessary translation!

13. teaboy Senior Member

USA
    English
    You are very kind, but I should be well beyond where I am. In foreign language learning, the more you know, the more you know how little you know. :(

14. Qureshpor Senior Member

Also, we should have noticed that after "ashyaa2", it is "khule 3aam biktii haiN".

15. Qureshpor Senior Member

No worries, teaboy Jii. As for "ustaads", I am a humble "shaagird" of the language and learn something new from Forum friends on a regular basis.

16. teaboy Senior Member

USA
    English
    So how would you translate shahrii Hukuumat kii kamaan saNbhaale? Head of city government?

17. Qureshpor Senior Member

I don't know if others will agree with me or not but I don't feel this is proper Urdu style. One would find this kind of usage in Indian media where there is a distinct usage of the past participle as well as "kar rahaa/rahii/rahe" to denote the present participle.

To answer your question..

Sayyid Muhammad Hussain, Administrator of Karachi and in charge of city's (civic) government, has begun an awareness programme concerning this issue.

18. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    You know they have a theory that the plurals become masculine, we've had a thread on this, I believe by UM SaaHib. But you are right of course.

19. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    I agree, but I don't see this case as such kind of thing. I understand it as '''''saNbhaale hu'e'''' where hu'e is left out, but I can and probably am wrong! Probably that gentleman has just taken the steer of the affairs.

20. Qureshpor Senior Member

Perhaps but I think it is a method employed to shorten the sentence structure. I would possibly say something like..

Karachi shahr kii Hukuumat ke farmaan-ravaa* aur naazim Sayyid Muhammad Hussain ne is Havaale se ek aagaahii-muhimm shuruu3 karne kaa faisalah kiyaa hai.

* even "kamaan-daar" (?)

21. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    Well, in Urdu: kamaan-daar / kamaaN-daar = archer! (From Persian).

22. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    I think but I'm not sure that kamaan is a loanword from the English 'command'.

23. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    As used in the earlier posts (kamaan saNbhaalnaa) = to take command, I believe it is. However, the word kamaan-daar / kaaN-daar is usually associated with an archer - classically at least:

tiir joRe hue chilloN meN kamaaN-daar baRhe

Anis (miir aniis).

24. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    I agree with you and just to emphasise, I referred to the phrase in question.

Also, thank you for quoting Anis.

25. teaboy Senior Member

USA
    English
    Got it! Thanks, all!