Urdu: غیرتِ ـــــــــ

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by Alfaaz, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Alfaaz Senior Member

اس غیرتِ ناہید کی ہر تان ہے دیپک​
    شعلہ سا لپک جائے ہے آواز تو دیکھو

غیر کی مرگ کا غم کس لئے، اے غیرتِ ماہ
    ہیں ہوس پیشہ بہت، وہ نہ ہُوا، اور سہی

• What would be appropriate translations for izaafats on the pattern ghairat-e-________, as used in the two examples above?
    • What reasoning is behind choosing a specific word for the izaafat?
      • For example, using ناہید in the first example seems to make sense since ناہید is considered مطربۂ فلک in اساطیر.
  2. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi

غیرت ِ ماہ Ghairat-e-maah = چاند كو غیرت دینے والا \والی , چاند كو شرمندہ كرنے والا \ والی chaand ko sharmindah karne waalaa / waalii ; chaand ko Ghairat dene waalaa / waalii = One whose beauty puts the moon to shame.

غیرت ِ گلزار \ چمن Ghairat-e-gulzaar / chaman = جس پر چمن و گلزار\ باغ كو رشك آئے، جس كے حسن سے چمن و گلزار شرمندہ ہوں
    jis par chaman o gulzaar / baaGh ko rashk aa'e ; jis se chaman o gulzaar sharmindah huN = One who puts the garden to shame in terms of beauty.

غیرت ِ حور Ghairat-e-Huur* = جس كے حسن سے حور شرمندہ ہو jis ke Husn se Huur sharmindah ho = One who puts the Huur* to shame

غیرت ِ ناہید \ زہرہ Ghairat-e-nahiid / zuhrah = جس كے حسن سے زہرہ شرمندہ ہو jis ke Husn se zuhrah sharmindah ho = One who put Venus (زُہْرَہ zuhrah ) to shame

یہ سب محاورات محبوب و معشوق كے حسن كی شان میں كہے جاتے ہیں.
    yeh sab muHaawaraat maHbuub o ma3shuuq ke Husn kii shaan meN kahe jaate haiN

[ *In Urdu, حور Huur is treated as singular although in Arabic Huur is obviously plural - we did aHwar, Haura2 here, here & here. We also discussed حُور شَمائِل Huur shamaa'il here. ]

كسی كو غیرت دینا \ دلانا kisii ko Ghairat denaa / dilaanaa = كسی كو شرمندہ كرنا kisii ko sharmindah karnaa = To put someone to shame / cause them to be embarrassed.
  3. BP. Senior Member

That the singular is or should be Hauraa2 in Urdu is one of the few aglaatul3aam that my elders used to correct, and this has stuck with me ever sinces.
  4. Alfaaz Senior Member

In your answer, all the explanations and translations seem to use #1 listed here for غیرت.

Could these phrases not also be interpreted as (with #2): jis par chaand/naheed ko bhi faxr ho ; jo iftixaar-e-qamar/naheed ho?
  5. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    Well, not quite! I used something from # 2 as well --- rashk!

But I know what you are trying to say and coming to the point, the way Ghairat is used in the izaafat form you queried (Ghairat-e-....) is as I explain above. That is how we use it, and it does make sense.

If one's beloved is so beautiful as to put the moon (or Venus) to shame then that beauty is unsurpassable! As they say in a different manner in Urdu: us ke Husn kaa kyaa jawaab...kohistaan kii parii zahr khaa le !! It is one big beauty competition and all about comparing the beauty of one's beloved to the traditional symbols poets and writers used for it.

Could it mean the alternative you propose: (faxr / iftixaar). I'm not sure since the usage I'm aware of (and one which is commonly understood, or rather was once) is what I presented. Hyperboles like these were established in the 18th and esp. the 19th century when Urdu poetry really took off, later followed by high Urdu prose. We've always used Ghairat in terms of rashk and Hayaa / sharm /sharmindagii etc., hence the usage shown in purple above.
  6. Alfaaz Senior Member

Thanks for all the detailed answers.