Urdu: فق

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by Alfaaz, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Alfaaz Senior Member

Questions: Is this word used in Urdu (any examples from literature)...? Would any of the following be correct?
    • تم فق کیوں ہو ؟ instead of تمہارے چہرے کا رنگ زرد کیوں ہے؟
    • The meaning was lost in the translation: مطلب ترجمے میں فق ہو گیا
    • تب تک اسکو فقط شک تھا، لیکن جائداد میں حق کی بات چھیڑ کے شخص نے اسکو فق کر دیا ، اور شک یقین میں تبدیل ہو گیا
      • Can فق be rhymed with حق (has ّ on ق).........or have forced-rhyme with تک and شک (end in ک instead of ق)?
  2. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    It might have some dire consequences for those who know a bit of English and a lot of Punjabi!:)
  3. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    I think it is not a frequently asked question. By the way, interesting what K stands for in the quoted entry.

This word is surely used in Urdu, but only and solely in the context of the pallid complexion on the face upon a dreadful/shocking occurence.

One example I could find in a novel:

ان کا رنگ فق ہو گیا تھا، اور آواز لرز رہی تھی۔
    Transliteration: un kaa rang faq ho gayaa thaa, aur aavaaz laraz rahii thii.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  4. rc2 Member

India - Telugu
    The word "faq" (shadd on the qaaf) is most certainly used in Urdu almost always in reference to "colour fading from a person or thing"

1) I would accept "تمہارے چہرے کا رنگ زرد کیوں ہے" as a valid statement. "تم فق کیوں ہو" is not a valid or correct statement.

2) "
    مطلب ترجمے میں فق ہو گیا" - not valid. One way to say it might be re-phrase the statement as: "tarjame meiN asl matlab naheeN aa sakaa" (The intended/original meaning did not come across in translation)

3) In the jaaedaad example, a more appropriate word in context would probably be "Khaarij kar diya" and not "faq"

4) I believe I have seen instances in Urdu poetry where "faq" is used as a [SIZE=3]rhyme word with "haqq" -- but [SIZE=3]using it with "shak[SIZE=3]" or "tak" is not going to be seen as vali[SIZE=3]d in most poet[SIZE=3]ic circles.

Hope that h[SIZE=3]elps.

5. Alfaaz Senior Member

Thanks for the comprehensive answer! Could you provide a few examples of correct usage? So does that mean the other meanings (listed in Platts) are obsolete? (It seemed like a word that could provide brevity...use one word rather than using chehre ka rang zard hona...a similar idea was behind this question, but the word turned out to mean dolphin!)

Just read the edit marrish SaaHib. Thanks for the example!
  6. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    In Urdu poetry, kaaf and qaaf can not rhyme.

jo dekhaa to saHraa hai ik laq-o-daq
    kih Rustam jise dekh ho jaa'e faq (astonished)

Miir Hasan

charx-i-chaarum se zamiiN par kaun Akhtar utraa
    mujhe faq faq nazar aataa hai qamar aaj kii raat * (Hairaan/pareshaan)

7. rc2 Member

India - Telugu
    The attached image is the entry from "noor.ul.luGhat" - and again, here the listing revolves around "being paled due to astonishment/shock, etc" and the "colour fleeing the face" -

It also lists 2 couplets:
    1) Imam BaKhsh 'NasiKh' :
    kis gul ka muNh chaman meiN tire aage faq naheeN
    yeh rang-e gul uRaa hai, ufuq par shafaq naheeN

2) 'Meer' Hasan:
    jo dekhaa to sehraa hai ik laq-o-daqq
    kih Rustam jise dekh ho jaaye faqq

A verse composed by "yours truly":
    voh saath thaa to saath rahaa mausim-e bahaar
    voh kyaa gayaa kih rang-e gulistaaN hai faq hanoz

Attached Files:

• faq.jpg