Urdu : معرکے کی حیثیت رکھتے ہیں

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by Gope, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Gope Senior Member

Chennai
    Tamil
    Dear friends, what is the meaning of 'maarke ki haisiyat rakhte hain' in the following (Finch is a man in the story):
    نفسیات سے دلچسپی رکھنے والوں کیلئے فنچ
    میری زردپوش فرشتہ معرکے کی حیثیت رکھتے ہیں

2. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Gope SaaHib, your sentence appears a little "mixed up" to me. Perhaps copy/pasting has affected the order. Let me quote another sentence from the net. I hope through it you will be able to decipher your sentence.

اس مرتبہ کے انتخابات ملت پاکستان کے لئے فیصلہ کن معرکے کی حیثیت رکھتے ہیں

The elections on this occasion hold the status of a decisive campaign for the Pakistani nation

3. Gope Senior Member

Chennai
    Tamil
    You are clairvoyant, Qureshpor Saheb, indeed there do occur mix ups while cutting and pasting, so here I give the full sentence in approximate roman transliteration:
    lekin "Dinky Tails" ne to qayaamat dhā dī hai. Nafseeyat se dilchaspi rakhnewalon ke liye Finch, meri singleton aur zardposh farishta, maarke ki haisiyat rakhte hain.
    be that as it may, I thank you for your idiomatic translation.

4. Qureshpor Senior Member

^ Here is an attempt but I must confess, I have struggled.

lekin "Dinky Tails" ne to qiyaamat Dhaa dii hai. nafsiyaat se dilchaspii rakhne vaaloN ke liye Finch, Mary Singleton aur Zardposh Farishtah, ma3rake kii Haisiyyat rakhte haiN.

As for “Dinky Tails”, they have caused a huge uproar. For those interested in psychology Finch, Mary Singleton and Zardposh-Farishtah {an angel clad in yellow} have the distinction of achieving something quite remarkable/a remarkable achievement.

I hope other friends can improve on my attempt.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  5. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    ^ I'd be very happy with your interpretation if I were you! Especially with the baffling ''merii'' - zard-posh farishtah ha ha ha!

Of course the sense what I have in my thoughts is alike but since you've asked, I could say:

...hold a position of importance ... hold the status of importance ... have a distinct position...

Expanding on ma3rakah: remarkable achievement is great; I'd even wage going for a breakthrough (there's a thread about it by BP. SaaHib)

6. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
    Poetic example of ma3rakah:

دل گیا تم نے لیا ہم کیا کریں
    جانے والی چیز کا غم کیا کریں

معرکہ ہے آج حسن و عشق میں
    دیکھیے وہ کیا کریں ہم کیا کریں

داغ دہلوی‎

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  7. Qureshpor Senior Member

^ Is there a word missing in the first line Alfaaz SaaHib? How would you translate the word in question in your quote?

8. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
    Battle-ground, competition, etc. could be used, but it seems (depending on context: what the couplet is applied to or how one envisions it!) confrontation, face-off or showdown would also be good options.

This couplet could probably describe what حسن و عشق are thinking:

یہ محفل جو آج سجی ہے، اس محفل میں ہے کوئی ہم سا
    ہم سا ہو تو سامنے آئے

قتیل شفائی، حبیب جالب، یا احمد فراز ؛ فلم: محبت

9. Gope Senior Member

Chennai
    Tamil
    Now that the sentence has been translated unambiguously by QP saaHib, I would think "hold a position of importance" proposed by Marrish saaHib might fit the context fine. Incidentally, Platt terms the pronunciation of 'ma3raka' as 'ma3rka' as vulgar. Does this mean it is popularly pronounced as ma3rka? and that it is also an accepted pronunciation? Because all our friends above including Alfaaz SaaHib write the word as ma3raka and not as ma3rka, i wonder which is the pronunciation to be used.

Now that the sentence has been translated unambiguously by QP saaHib, I would think "hold a position of importance" proposed by Marrish saaHib might fit the context fine. Incidentally, Platt terms the pronunciation of 'ma3raka' as 'ma3rka' as vulgar. Does this mean it is popularly pronounced as ma3rka? and that it is also an accepted pronunciation? Because all our friends above including Alfaaz SaaHib write the word as ma3raka and not as ma3rka, i wonder which is the pronunciation to be used.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2013
  10. Gope Senior Member

Chennai
    Tamil
    There still remains my ignorance about what the tag 'vulg.' attached to an alternative pronunciation of certain words, including ma3rakah- alternative pronunciation ma3rkah ( vulg.)- actually signifies. Is it that the latter is crude and uneducated, or that it is popular and also accepted?
    @: Marrish saaHib, I shall always give the context when necessary.

11. Qureshpor Senior Member

^ Take Platt's implication for "vulgar" as colloquial, everyday language. Not in the sense of rude or indecent.

12. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi

I would go for these as the meaning of معرکہ ma3rakah in this context, i.e. confrontation, face-off or showdown.

Of course we know from the above discussion that the word has more than one usage. BTW, I somehow take exception to its meaning as battle-ground since in our usage its meaning is confined to the idea of an event and not a place of confrontation. For the latter we have plenty of other words.