1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Urdu: مقلٰی

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by Alfaaz, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
    Background:
    Questions: Can مقلٰی be used for any fried food/frying pan, or is its use just limited to medicine? Would the following sentence be correct?

• مقلی میں مقلی تیار کریں

2. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Despite of the consciousness that my answer is not going to be satisfactory, I shall try to offer one:

Again today, I have to admit my ignorance! I'm not familiar with this word. Normally I should have avoided answering under such circumstances but I think the fact of my unfamiliarity with this word points to one aspect of the posed question, i.e. the sentence would not be correct in my opinion since it would be unintelligible to begin with. Let's hope that those in the know can tell you something about the semantic part.

A side note: it's curious how is the usage of this word associated with the medical field (tibb)? Somehow I can't put an association of medicine with the explanation. To me it's purely culinary, don't you think so? So based on the meanings provided, I'd answer your other question that it doesn't have any linkage with medicine. Well, but it's only a conjecture.

A second note: is فرائی پان a new style of fried paan?

3. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
    Yes, except if it is a reference to cauterization (or a similar procedure)...which seems unlikely as you say!
    پان

4. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    I too have to confess that I am not familiar with either "maqlaa" or "miqlaa" in Urdu. So, I am at a loss to comment. I am aware of a dish, I believe Hyderabadi, called "qalyah MaaNDaa" but I don't know if there is any connection of this with your words.