1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Urdu: موئے کبوترباز

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by Gope, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Gope Senior Member

Chennai
    Tamil
    موئے کبوترباز occurs in patras bukhari's 'mein ek mian hoon'. Could any of the friends in the forum say the meaning of this, and also analyse this phrase for me. Shukriya.

2. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Gope SaaHib/ah first thing first. Welcome to the Forum!

You will no doubt know that the past participle of the verb "marnaa" is "maraa (hu'aa)" (dead). This is the regular conjugation. You will also know that the regular form for "karnaa" would be "karaa" but this is not fasiiH (chaste) or standard Urdu (or Hindi for that matter). The normal past participle here is "kiyaa (hu'aa)" (done). Similarly there is an irregular form for the verb "marnaa" namely "mu'aa" (dead). This word is usually used idiomatically to scold someone and amongst a host of meanings one could say "kam-baxt" is one of them.

In Patras Bukharai's essay "maiN ek miyaaN huuN", he is describing his wife's attitutude towards one of his friends, a certain Mirza SaaHib. The author keeps this Mirza's company and in the eyes of the author's Begum SaaHibah, Mirza SaaHib is a good for nothing scoundrel and her husband should refrain from having any association with him. Amongst Mirza SaaHib's pasttimes is keeping pigeons and everything connected with this "hobby" of his. So, he is a kabuutar-baaz. (kabuutar-pigeon, the suffix -baaz normally stands for "player/playiing", e.g shatranj-baaz (Chess Player).

Anyway, sorry to bore you to tears, but "mu'e kabuutar-baaz" is "(That Mirza SaaHib) the wretched pigeon-fancier". The reason why "mu'aa" changes to "mu'e" is because even though the good lady is cursing him, she is still using the plural of respect, because she is a "muhazzab" (civilised) lady.

I hope this helps.

3. Gope Senior Member

Chennai
    Tamil
    Qureshpor Saheb, your explanation is exactly what I hoped for. It is as complete as it could be. Thank you very much. And thanks to the WR forum which has made this possible.

4. Dib Senior Member

Germany
    Bengali (India)
    Interesting!

5. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    Yes, muu'aa مؤا means dead and used as a curse even in polite company, though now its usage as a whole has gone down. Sounds quite quaint!

As mentioned already, it undergoes a declension both for masc. singular مؤا muu'aa vs. masc. plural موئے muu'e, but also for masculine مؤا muu'aa vs. feminine موئی muu'ii.

It is also used in compounds, e.g. مؤا بادل muu'aa baadal = sponge! Although now most Urduphones would use the English term and say spanj or ispanj!

6. Gope Senior Member

Chennai
    Tamil
    Faylasoof Saheb, thanks. In the light of your explanation and Qureshpor Saheb's I looked into my dictionary and indeed found this:
    موا: مراہوا،
    موئے: موا کی جمع، نگوڑے، بدبخت، بدنصیب
    موئ : مری ہوئ etc.
    it is all perfectly clear now. Thanks once again.

7. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
  8. Gope Senior Member

Chennai
    Tamil
    Marrish Saheb, the thread referred by you throws more light; in particular, the old woman deprecates a man by calling him muua, while the heroine of patras bukhari, being a young, well-bred woman uses the plural muue 'muue kabutarbaaz' to refer to tho older, socially respected mirza, as pointed out by qureshpor saheb in his reply to my asking for the meaning of that expression.

9. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    My referencing you to this thread couldn't be more fruitful, Gope SaaHib. QP SaaHib's explanation is a nice example of prose on its own and regarding the matter I can't say anything more, it was just for reference, but you see, Patras Bukhari and this lady is no more. His writings seem to live. Thank you so much for joining the forum with these lofty questions of yours.

Edit: and there is also adh-mu'aa! in Urdu. It has another touch.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  10. Gope Senior Member

Chennai
    Tamil
    Am truly touched by the scholarly and wholehearted help the learned senior members have brought to me, a humble beginner who started only in April this year from the urdu texts prescribed for classes 1 to 6 plus the resources available on the net so far.