Urdu: نوسرباز

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by teaboy, Jun 18, 2013.

1. teaboy Senior Member

USA
    English
    I understand this to mean some kind of a scammer or fraudster, but I cannot find it in my dictionaries (which does not mean, of course, that it is not there...) It is in a news item about people dying from ingesting poisonous substances:

نوسربازوں کے ہاتھوں زہریلی اشیاء کھانے سے 4افراد جاں بحق ہو گئے۔

2. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
  3. teaboy Senior Member

USA
    English
    Thanks for the links. Can someone explain how نو + سر + باز = thief? According to that link, a synonym is ہاتھ چلاک ...
    "clever hand" I get, but نوسرباز -- how does that meaning arise?

4. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    ^ teaboy jii, you have posed a good question. I too have not been able to locate the word in any of the dictionaries I have access to.

One thing is certain. The word is "nausar + baaz" and NOT "nau + sar-baaz". "baaz" is a suffix meaning player/playing, e.g "jaaN-baaz" (one who plays with his life..soldier). So, we need to find out what "nausar" actually means. (One guess is nine heads, but I don't think this is correct!)

5. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    I'm actually wondering about this! In Urdu, sar-baaz = brave, fighter; one who takes risks. Perhaps it is with the latter meaning in mind that this neologism came about. From sar-baaz we get nau sar-baaz to signify one who is a chaal-baaz (!) and where the nau = new. Just a guess since none of the lexicons provide any hint as to its origin.

6. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    I am assuming that you have found it in some dictionaries. Is it actually an Urdu word or has it come into Urdu from elsewhere? I have just spoken with someone and it seems this word might be Punjabi. It is not a word that I use in my (personal) speech but as my vocabulary is not all that extensive, I can not say for sure that it is or not.

7. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    For my part I have only heard this word in Punjabi and that too as a form of slang-like description so your friend might be right.

8. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    Well, if you Google it then you find it used in respectable Urdu sites. Also, Feroz ul Lughaat too has it as does the online lexicon mentioned by Alfaaz SaaHib. The origin is not mentioned in any of the lexicons I have but I doubt if it is just slang usage. I need to find out more now.

9. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Indeed, I googled it a couple of minutes before and it is found in several respectable sites as well as as a title of a book! It would be interesting to get to know more about it.