URDU: گاه

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by akhooha, Dec 17, 2013.

1. akhooha Senior Member

English - USA
    What does the word گاه mean?
    I have seen it used in the expression عید گاه where it is referring to a prayer ground outside the city especially for Eid.
    I have not been able to find the word گاه by itself in any online Urdu dictionaries.
    Could it possibly be an Urdu-ized adaptation of the Arabic word قاع ?
    Thank you.
    [h=1][/h]

2. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    No, it is a Persian suffix used in Urdu as well, denoting a place.

Exs. 3iid-gaah (ground for Eid prayers), sair-gaah (park), sharm-gaah (private part of human body) etc

It also denotes time!

saHar-gaah (dawn-time), gaah-ba-gaah (from time to time)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  3. akhooha Senior Member

English - USA
    Thanks for your quick reply. So, it's a suffix --- no wonder I couldn't find it as a word. I'd been misled into thinking of it as a word, since it appears to be written independently, i.e. عید گاه and not عیدگاه.
    Thanks again for the information....

4. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
    Here is an entry from Urdu Lughat:
    Here is the entry in Platts:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  5. akhooha Senior Member

English - USA
    Thanks for the detailed etymology. Now I'm certain that there's no connection with the Arabic قاع.

6. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    Just to clarify: in Persian gāh in the sense “time” is a noun and can be used on its own, but in the sense “place” it is used only as the final element of a compound. They two homonyms are actually etymologically distinct:

-gāh “place” < Old Persian gāϑu- “place, throne”

gāh “time” < Avestan gāϑā- “hymn, one of the Gathas of Zarathustra, the time of the day for the recitation of one of the Gathas, time”.

7. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    ^ This time really thanks for the etymology, it explains not only the usage in Persian but by extension in Urdu too.