Urdu: گردشِ ایّام

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by Alfaaz, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Alfaaz Senior Member

اک خاص حد پہ آگئی جب تیری بےرخی

نام اسکا ہم نے گردشِ ایّام رکھ دیا
    قتیل شفائی

Questions: Does this phrase always have a negative connotation? Can it be used positively (in the sense of days/times becoming better)?
  2. rc2 Member

India - Telugu
    Alfaaz saahab -

My take on the phrase "gardish-e ayyaam" is that it refers to a "change of circumstances rotating from one end of a spectrum to another" -- It could be neutral (as in the change of seasons), or in some cases unwelcome or unpleasant - that warrants the use of the phrase.. In either case though, the change is "beyond one's control" and so the person referring to it is in a sort of a "helpless" situation. It could also signify that the speaker is "accepting what comes as fate."

In the couplet you quoted, I personally read it as "an acceptance of fate" -- with the "ham ne .... rakh diyaa" giving the author a false sense of control on something not in his control.

I translate the couplet loosely as:
    "When your cold nature (toward me) went beyond a limit, I accepted it as the normal cycle of vicissitudes"

Hope that helps.
  3. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    I would say, yes, on the whole it is used for the "vicissitudes of time" in a negative sense. But one does find it in the general sense of "passage of time". Here is Iqbal in his poem "himaalah".

haaN dikhaa de ai tasavvur phir vuh subH-o-shaam tuu
    dauR piichhe kii taraf ai gardish-i-ayyaam tuu

O imagination! Show me once again, those mornings and evenings sublime
    Travel fast and take me back to the age gone by, O days passing with time
  4. Alfaaz Senior Member

That's a really interesting interpretation rc2 SaaHib! It seems from both replies that it is generally used with this meaning (قسمت کی برگشتگی، بدنصیبی، بدبختی، ادبار۔) of گردش, rather than this meaning (انقلاب، زمانے کا تغیر؛ حالات کی تبدیلی۔), in the positive sense of change/revolution...kind of like دن پھرنا.
  5. rc2 Member

India - Telugu
    Alfaaz sahab -

I like your comparison of "gardish-e ayyaam" to "din phirnaa" -- both outwardly look neutral - but there is a slight negativity associated with it in most cases. But QP-sahib's example of the line from Iqbal's "himaalah" is interesting in the fact that the poet is longing for days gone by in a fond sort of a way -- so here, you do see a neutrality of meaning.

Come to think of it, has one ever heard about referring to someone's luck turning out well (for the positive) using "din phirna?"
    I cannot say I have personally -- then again, Urdu is not my native tongue.

6. UrduMedium Senior Member

United States
    Urdu (Karachi)
    Another variant carrying the first meaning, from Faiz

vuh jinhaiN taab-i-giraaN-baari-e-ayyaam nahiN
    unki palkoN pe shab-o-roz ko halkaa kar de